1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AWD-e Slip Test Results - Doesn't look good

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by upplepop, Jun 6, 2020.

1. upplepop

upplepop New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    TheFastLaneCar site recently performed a slip test of the All-wheel drive system, and the Prius performed miserably.
    You can see it on YouTube here:

However, they did get good results in a real-world test done last year (
    ).

I've been thinking about getting this model and am curious of people's thoughts as to whether this is a fair test, and if anyone else has concerns about the AWD performance.

Mambo Dave and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a fair test.

There was no pretensions that the Prius AWD-e was some sort of off-road vehicle. It was meant to just get you going on wet, slippery surfaces (I'm thinking mostly rain-slicked surfaces but similar situations in snow will work). 7hp/40lb-ft isn't much (not enough to push the car on its own as you saw in the video) but enough when used in conjunction with the front wheels.

It also doesn't have a limited slip differential so the front wheels kept spinning on the 3-wheel test. (would've been nice to see traction control at least attempt to brake the front right wheel but oh well).

The only issue I see is that Toyota is using the same name (AWD-e) in the Prius as it does on the RAV4, Highlander, Venza and SIenna but they all work differently.

In the RAV4, it can send up to 50% to the rear wheels (2019+ model) or 30% to the rear wheel (2016-2018 model). On the Venza and Sienna, the system can send up to 80% of its available power to the rear wheels. On the Prius, it's just under 6% (7hp over a total 121 system hp)

Mambo Dave, alanclarkeau and upplepop like this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure it's just meant to get them off the showroom floor.

Mambo Dave, kithmo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a little surprising. Bit of a "snow job"? And you give up the spare.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    IMO it does little more than a skillful driver can do with his right foot. No offence to anyone who has one but I think it's designed for the less skilled driver.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I loved my AWD Subarus, but in the final tally I realized that the extra ground clearance was doing more for me than the actual AWD.

Driving those in New England and the mid-Atlantic for the past couple of decades I just didn't see that many situations where AWD made a difference that could not have been replicated (or surpassed) by a set of good snow tires and careful driving.

Toyota can keep the AWD. Gimme a knob on the dashboard to set ride height, Citroën style.

Mambo Dave, kithmo and farmecologist like this.
  7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I agree - in flood areas, with building codes making grading ever-higher, I'd like height control just to get in and out of businesses without scraping the front.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In dry snow, I've only got stuck once in my Gen 3 with Nokian R winter tyres - at an unplowed section after 4" of snow fell and it was at a T-intersection which was a garbled mess. (so I presume there were parts greater than 4" where other cars have pushed snow aside as they tracked through the intersection). It wasn't a public road.

In wetter snow, I've got stuck a few times in the Gen 2 with WRG2 all-weather tyres... the residential roads were tracked and as the snow piled higher, the centre of the road got higher and eventually we got stuck due to the lack of ground clearance (all the days before, we were able to make it through with momentum).

Yeah. With the Prime, I've scratched the front right corner of the bumper on curbs... not the wheel covers lol. Poor car.

Mambo Dave likes this.