1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Axle Beam Sub Frame Rust!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eman08, Nov 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bigflank

Bigflank New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a similar question as eman08. My 2007 Prius has gone through 12 Minneapolis winters now, so it's seen lots of water and city road salt. I washed it a lot in the early years but got lazy later, only getting a couple car washes a year.

I'm concerned about the undercarriage, in exactly the same spots as eman08. Here are some photos. What do people think? Could my old Prius last several more years, or is it time to start thinking about selling her?

Attached Files:

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's "surface" rust. If it bothers you then raise and safely support the back of the car, brush as much rust off as you can then degrease the area. Next you can do one of two things. First would be use a product like FluidFilm and then undercoat. Second would be to use a rust converter like anything with phosphoric acid - or use POR15.
    You would treat things now if you want keep the car for years. It's not really a concern until it progresses to the point where the rust has heavy "scaling" - that indicates that the metal has deteriorated and is thinner and possibly much weaker.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bigflank likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats not to bad its the front that's more important.

Bigflank likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not great not terrible.

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius