1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AZ Legislation

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by phxprius, Mar 23, 2005.

1. azddavero

azddavero New Member

I'm working in San Jose (live in Chandler) and the local news this morning said that owners of Prius, Honda Civic, and Honda Insight can take $8.00 to their MVD. In exchange, they get a shiney yellow sticker that lets them drive their hybrids with single occupants in HOV lanes.

You guys gotta wake our MVD up!

Dave

2. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

Which MVD, CA or AZ is doing the sticker thing? I know about Cali, but had not heard anything more for AZ. I tried going by the MVD yesterday at open of business, but the line was already out the door. I figured I'd try again at lunch, but it got lost in the work shuffle. Do you mean that the news is announcing that the AZ MVD's are granting stickers to hybrids now?

3. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

Update...

I was checking the web for information regarding the status of Arizona HOV lane / Hybrid access and came across something I'd been unaware of on http://www.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm. The text reads:
    ------------------------------------------------
    <span style='color:eek:range'>State Hybrid HOV (bill): S.B. 1290 again reintroduces the amendment to allow hybrids and alternatively fueled vehicles into the high occupancy lanes regardless of the number passengers. However, if passed the bill would still require a federal waiver to be in effect.
    Introduced 1/26/05 and is in committee.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm interpreting this to mean that the law passed in 2001(?) has expired and that its likely that there is no longer an Arizona law on the books allowing for hybrid access to the HOV lane. We're back to the "waiting for the legislature" process to go through again, I'm afraid.

--Chris

4. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think were all mising the point. I hope we don't buy a Hybrid just to get the fast HOV lane.
    Hybrids get great mileage even and especially in stop and go, we even have electric A/C and electric power steering and brakes.
    ONLY a 100 + MPG hybrid should get the HOV lane.
    Let's make it hard to get and keep it open for real clean vehicles.

Let's not just buy for a privilage of HOV lanes or incentives. Let's make a real difference everyday.
    Jim

5. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

ok... 2 weeks with no response - time for letter #2 - to be sent monday. if others can do something similar, we might get somewhere more quickly -

HELP !

------------------------------------------

August 15, 2005

Ms. Stacey K Stanton, Director
    Motor Vehicle Division
    Arizona Department of Transportation

Sent via Fax, (602) 712-6539

Dear Ms. Stanton:

I am writing again regarding MVD issuance of plates or stickers allowing me to drive my hybrid vehicle, a 2005 Toyota Prius, in our state’s HOV lanes regardless of the number of occupants in my car. I understand your office has received my letter of August 1, and that your office intends to respond this week. I am writing to provide a little more information, with the hope that it will expedite your response.

Since my last letter, the President has formally signed the federal Transportation Bill into law. Our neighbors in California have implemented their process to issue stickers to owners of hybrid vehicles, and their state law is much more restrictive than ours (the California law contains mileage and emissions thresholds that hybrids must meet to qualify, whereas Arizona law has no such provisions), yet workers at Arizona’s MVD are still unable to issue plates or stickers as allowed by both federal and Arizona state law because they have no administrative policy in place.

Our state legislature saw great value in this policy and has given it a green light. Congress and the White House have affirmed their support by approving the federal Transportation Bill. Other states are moving forward. The only missing piece between Arizona hybrid owners and their AF plates / stickers is a formal MVD policy in the hands of your employees in the MVD offices. We need your help to make this happen !

I would appreciate your response from your office. Thank you.

Sincerely,

(me)

------------------------------------------

6. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

Re: Update...

SB1290 never got passed, as far as i can tell. the existing law that has been on the books since 2001 is still in effect. i believe 1290 was a simple clean-up - no major substantive changes.

7. azddavero

azddavero New Member

Sorry HybridVigor, I was referring to the CA MVD. As I've read further on the issue it seems that you have to mail in your application. A minor detail compared to the AZ MVD's lack of interest.

Thanks to you, sparky, and others for keeping after them.