1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'B' mode and DRCC engine revving

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by roadwarrior28, Dec 29, 2016.

1. roadwarrior28

roadwarrior28 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've notice recently that engaging B mode or the DRCC slowing me down results in the ICE revving higher than it would under gas power. However, the battery still has plenty of room left to regen. Anyone else experience this?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You wouldn't have it in "B Mode" if the battery wasn't fully charged, and even then only if there was a fairly steep decline in the road.

If you're going down a steep hill, the DRCC will firstly engage REGEN braking, and if that isn't keeping the speed from exceeding the set speed, will cause the ICE to engine-brake. However, (unless you've got the model with speed control which I think might be Japan ONLY??) it won't use the friction brakes, but will exceed your requested speed - or you put your foot on the brake to slow.

B Mode will force the ICE to rev, possibly up to redline, that's what it's designed to do. But it's not generally used it regular driving - I've used it for ½ a km in 9,000km driving.

RCO likes this.