1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"B" mode...what for?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by peternumber2, Feb 14, 2024.

1. peternumber2

peternumber2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys,
    I think b mode does very different things between HEV and PHEV models.
    Indeed, translating to english the B mode section from the manual (BTW am i the only one thinking that the manual is unnecessarily complicated?):

When the gear position is shifted to B, regeneration boosting is activated, and control of acceleration and deceleration is performed solely with the accelerator pedal, reducing the frequency of switching from that pedal to the brake pedal. It is possible to achieve progressive deceleration by slowly releasing the accelerator pedal without completely removing the foot from the pedal.

I read that as: it's Toyota's way to mimic the one-pedal driving mode of BEV....

I will then switch to B-mode permanently, since I live in a city, and always wanted the one-pedal driving feeling...am I going harm the system by doing so?

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No you won't, but when the battery is full, it will use the engine to brake so I would suggest to switch to it once some of the battery has been used already to avoid the engine to turn on (and stay on until it reaches its optimal temperature, which is a waste of gas and engine wear). If the battery isn't full, using B mode, you'll feel the car decelerating more when you let go of the accelerator with the engine staying off. Not as much as when you press the brake pedal and not as drastic as one pedal driving but you'll feel it. It will still use the brakes for the last few km/h until stopped and won't hold the car in place when stopped (Gen4, I think Gen5 does that now).

Oh and keep in mind, when it's cold, you might not have the full regenerative braking as the battery can't take as much power as when it's warm. If you haven't and you want to look into that thing, get Hybrid Assistant (Android app only but works in a device as old as one from 2012) and an OBD2 adapter. I suggest vLinker MC+. It's just as good/fast as the OBDLink LX and much cheaper. You can see (amongst other things) on screen how much power the battery can give (the cyan tick mark on the right) and take (the green tick mark also on the right). The cyan bar fills from the bottom for power (the graph is showing the car is using 1.5 kW of power as it iddles for warmup) and the green bar fills from the top (Regen power). Si as you can see, far less power is available for Regen than power. When warm and the battery isn't full, the green tick mark moves about midway.

#22 sylvaing, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  3. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    goog news. thanks

PS I was thinking about getting this obd-bluetooth adapter: is it as goog as the one you suggested?

4. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which one? Your post has no link or name of the adapter.

I tried a veePeak first and that one was way slower (one data capture per second instead of the 10-15 data captures of the vLinker MC+ and OBDLink) and couldn't get the MG1/2 temperatures. I returned it and tried the vLinker. I can tell it's as good as the OBDLink since I have that one in my Model 3 and transferred it into the Prius until I got one that would work as good for the Prius, without paying the price of the OBDLink. The OBDLink is back in the Tesla as the vLinker is as good and way cheaper.

Edit: I didn't see the link for "this" and lol, nope, not as good. It's bad actually.

5. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, is the vLinker MC+ compatible with dr.prius ? it's not listed among the tested ones.

6. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sure I tried it and it worked but I'll check it again later on today when my wife is back with the car.

7. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No problem reading all the data from my Prime through Dr. Prius.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The four app sites I've been to - troque, drprius, car scanner and hybrid assistant all have old recommended adapter pages. They are good to get an idea of what works and doesn't work with the apps, but there have been newly released adapters that are not on the lists, but should be.

Vgate has a more expensive adapter at $56 us - call the vlinker FS BT. It's specs look to me similar to the ODBLink MX+

9. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my vlinker from Amazon today...I just realized it's the MC and not the MC+....do I need to send it back? What are the differences?

10. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    MC is Bluetooth 3 and MC+ is BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). I think the MC will work with an Android device while an iPhone needs a BLE.

vvillovv likes this.
  11. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe ble is not going to drain my 12V battery?

12. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Check the mysteriously thick document that came with your vehicle: surprisingly, it can be very informative. ;)

13. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You are very right indeed! Check one of my previous posts where I report the paragraph regarding the bmode. One pedal driving is what they were seeking for with the bmode, at least on the phev trim

Doug McC likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better than that dead-tree version: downloading e-copies of the various documents, and using "Search", can be much faster than trying to use the sparse Index and Table of Contents of that thick physical document.

Toyota Manuals and Warranties | Toyota Owners

15. peternumber2

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I was implying using the digital version... finding things on the paper manual without the "search" function is almost impossible....

fuzzy1 likes this.
  16. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I apologize, I keep forgetting that back before dirt was invented one of the things they taught us in school was how to use an “index”.

17. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was before they ordered the manual's technical writers to keep the Index very short and sparse.

19. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I believe you have concluded that the changes in wording indicate that the B Mode function has changed. In reality, the only thing that changed was the description. Before driving in B Mode continuously, you might consider investigating your assumptions a little further. B Mode is a function (or driving mode) of the ECU. Not a special function of the type of charging of the hybrid battery.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even without such an order, an index has to be built by somebody when the document is created. (Even with nice publishing software, somebody has to mark the terms throughout the document to be treated as index terms. Before nice publishing software, it was an even bigger job.)

Using Find... in a PDF Just Works.

fuzzy1 and Doug McC like this.