1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"B" Range...What's Really Going On...

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Matt H, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    We've all heard different things about what happens when you pull the shift lever into the "B" location for additional braking. What we all know for sure is that it adds additional braking, because you can feel it in the seat of your pants (or skirt). However, that's where agreement seems to diverge. Some think it sends juice to the battery, some say not. Some even use it because they think that by braking this way, they're "saving the brakes", while putting the same power back into the battery that you'd see if you were braking with the foot pedal.

I did some testing over and over, using different speeds and different brake pressures; the results were pretty much the same every time.

Here's what's going on.

From top to bottom:
    Engine RPM
    Vehicle Speed
    Shifter position (D is "ON" / B is "OFF")
    Traction Motor Torque (Actual)
    Battery Current in Amperes. A negative number is charge to the battery.

Comments will be at the red cursor for each slide.

In this first slide, the car is throttle-off, coasting down with a small amount of regeneration (16.13 amps).

[​IMG]

In the next slide, the shifter has moved to the "B" position. There is a spike in the input to the battery to almost 74A. This may be to give immediate braking at the selection of the "B" range because it takes a little time to get the ICE in the game. Traction motor torque only increases slightly, though.

[​IMG]

In the third slide, the ICE is at full commanded RPM of 2,432 rpm, traction motor torque has also increased substantially to 21Nm, and there is a battery charge current of about 30A, which pretty much plateaus after this point until the vehicle slows to around 40 km/hr.

[​IMG]

In the fourth slide, Engine rpm has come down and plateaued at a 960 rpm "idle". We're still in the mid 20Nm for motor torque, but battery input has dropped to around 16A. This is because the traction motor has slowed way down at this point.

[​IMG]

Here we see the ICE has reached the cut-off point at around 22 km/hr.

[​IMG]

The final slide for shifter position shows the shift selector moved back into the "D" position. At 23Nm, we're still braking the car, but the regeneration is almost nothing at 9 km/hr, and will soon go positive as it crosses over and tries to drive the vehicle.

[​IMG]

After the initial spike of current when the selector was moved int the "B" position, the regeneration seemed to plateau at around 30 amps, whether from 90 km/hr, or 60km/hr, then quickly taper off as the vehicle slows below about 40 km/hr. The major thing we see here is that there is actually battery regeneration when you select "B".

But check this out!

Here we have:
    Vehicle Speed
    Actual Traction Motor Torque for Brake Regeneration. This is not the total torque, but only that which is used for regeneration when the brakes are applied.
    Brake Master Cylinder Torque (Basically pedal pressure)
    Battery Current

In the first slide, the accelerator was just released from steady-state, EV cruise. There is an initial spike in amperage to the battery.

[​IMG]

Within only a 2 km/hr drop in speed, the coasting regeneration quickly went to nothing and then back to about 14 amps. Brakes are not yet applied, and no brake regeneration is present.

[​IMG]

In the third slide, I've applied the brake until the last bar is lit on the regeneration scale in the HSD. I tried to hold it in this position for a few seconds, as best I could. Traction motor torque output for braking regeneration has jumped to 110Nm, but the amperage to the battery is almost 90 amps! That's around three times as much as is shown when "B" range is selected, and stabilized.

[​IMG]

In the last slide, I've applied the brakes hard. This is where pedal pressure peaked, but look at the long, flat battery amperage line that was holding at around 90 amps. A the cursor here it's dropped to 73 amps because vehicle speed is slowing, but what we see is no matter how hard you brake, the charge to the battery doesn't go above about 90 amps, and braking more than the last bar on the HSD doesn't get you more regeneration.

[​IMG]

In summery, braking using the "B" range does give battery regeneration, but braking with the pedal brake will give about three times as much down to about 40 km/hr, where it starts to taper off, but still stays considerably higher than "B".

Braking more than the last regeneration bar on the HSD does not increase regeneration. However, while I didn't show it here, motor torque braking does substantially increase and add to braking. It's pretty linear to pedal pressure input.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the write up! Great data!

An interesting note about 40km/h: If you shift into "B" below that, the engine doesn't spin or come on to provide additional braking so I'm guessing at that point, you're just getting a maximum of 30A regen, right? (or at least a spike and then it settles to a lower number).

Eve Barbanell likes this.
  3. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    wow. thanks for running these tests!

4. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for doing all these tests and the recordings! I've a few observations as below:

1. Traction Motor Torque (Actual) is higher in D (-110 Nm @ 51 kmh) than in B (-21.25 Nm @ 53 kmh). Without engine braking to assist, MG2 has to do more work and the higher torque is expected.

2. Battery Current is higher in D (-89.93A @ 51 kmh) than B (-30.3A @ 53 kmh). In B, some of the regenerated power by MG2 is being consumed by MG1 (function as motor) to spin ICE, the balance power will be used to charge the battery so lesser current to battery is also expected.

3. Brake Master Cylinder Torque only shows pedal pressure and not be as useful if you want to know whether does it save the brake pad. I would rather monitor Wheel Cylinder Pressure Sensor instead which can give you some indication that brake pad is used. In cases where battery current max. out, you should see an increase in this sensor because hydraulic braking has to make up the shortfall of regen. braking.

4. Stopping time is longer in B (~22 secs.) than in D (~11 secs.). It is not clear whether you used brake in B. It seems to me that you're only shifting to B and not using brake, otherwise I can't think of why it takes longer for B to come to a complete stop.

5. Your test distance is relatively short (I think less than 200m). B is usually used for long and steep descent, where MG2 max. out regen. or SOC reaches near upper limit.

6. The hill grade is unknown. The higher the hill grade, MG2 has to regen. more to maintain speed and is more likely to max. out sooner than a gentle slope or level ground.

As your tests are biased towards short distances, I would caution against "one size fits all" comment to use D instead of B.

Vincent

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ehh.. whatever the case.. these are tests that prove the claims that informed Prius drivers have known forever.

yes, "B" does not add any additional regen and wastes energy to slow the vehicle down.. but now we know that normal regen braking in "D" is not just better, but provides 3 times more!? say that again... 3 TIMES more amperage to charge the traction battery.. impressive.. i know that the amperage reaches about 90 or so from my own monitoring, but never really bothered checking it while in "B".... because I never shift into it unless it's ACTUALLY required... which is rare for me.

but yes.. as mentioned above... were there any tests made while applying the brake pedal while in "B"? i do not know.. great info nonetheless.

richard.ollerenshaw likes this.
  6. Farfle

Farfle Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I used B yesterday when I was descending a long hill, but only after my battery had fully charged and I was getting no deceleration anymore because it was full. At that point I didn't want to stress my brakes, so I enabled B mode to have the engine turn over and slow the veh. I guess this begs the question though, what's more important, wear and tear on the ICE or on the front brakes?

7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    brakes are fairly cheaper than an engine?

8. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It is not about wear and tear, it is about safety. When the brakes overheat to a great degree, the metal in the brake rotors or drums develops hard spots. These are known as hot spots. The hot spots resist the friction from the brake shoes and pads. Because the shoes or pads have nothing they can grasp, there's no friction. Consequently, braking power is lost.

The ICE is lubricated by engine oil anyway so wear and tear is minimal.

Vincent

9. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe I read that Hobbit tested braking in B and found that the regen amperage was no greater than braking in D.

There shouldn't be any more wear on the engine than if it were spinning with fuel. There are many cars that do DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff), which is essentially the same thing.

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Doesn't B act as an engine brake, therefore actually using the engine and not just shutting it off?

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My mind doesn't do well with graphs.

So I prefer to simply put the Prius in B when going down steep inclines and then simply whisper "It's Full Of Stars".

12. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Engine braking is done by not injecting fuel. The throttle plate is closed, which causes the pistons to have to work hard to suck in air, but without any combustion cycle to make any power. The air pretty much acts like a spring in the cylinder, so the compression doesn't use a whole lot of power as it will just push the piston back down. However, with the variable valve timing, the valves can open and close at different times making the engine braking even more powerful. The engine is essentially turned into an air pump. The same thing happens in most cars when you downshift or put them in L. Here's the wikipedia article about the subject if you want a little more info.

Andyprius1, minkus and ztanos like this.
  13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Learn something new everyday. I know how it works in older cars with gear setting, but didn't know the new engines were different.

14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    It's been said but it's worth emphasis - you've done the right thing and should always do this for safety reasons. If you're using your brakes all the way down a long hill, the phenomenon you could encounter is called Brake Fade.

Brake fade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using B mode will reduce the pressure on your friction brakes and lower your chances of encountering this.

If I know the descent will fill my battery anyway, or if I'm going to need more than just regen braking, I will use B mode from the top, but it's a judgement call based on the conditions. On many descents I come in and out of B mode anyway, adjusting to the grades, curves and traffic encountered.

15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I always love a informative and technically accurate post. GREAT POST

16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not sure that deceleration changes because the battery is fully charged. If the battery is fully charged, then the additional charging is disposed of, I am not sure how. The Brake position is to slow the car down faster than in drive. There is no wear and tear either on the engine or the brakes. The brakes do not resemble regular friction brakes until 8 mph or less. My Gen 2 2005 brakes looked new and unused at 105,000 miles. Riding the brakes is my norm on the C and PIP and 2005.

17. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The engine revs to use up the charge.

Well, the engine is still "on", just without fuel. So I'd imagine the wear & tear is similar to when the engine is on normally.

Or when braking past the regen range on the eco meter, or when braking suddenly because the car thinks you want to come to a stop as soon as possible.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  18. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Someone done the similar test before, and D with brake generated more electric than B. Also, I read somewhere before, B doesn't brake by ICE engine. Just the simulation of regenarate brake and real brake to act like engine brake.

19. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's totally wrong - see post #12 above for how it works on the Prius.

Rob.au and fuzzy1 like this.
  20. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From what I understand 'B' is low range/gear. ( I know it is not really a gear.) Similar to the 1st or 2nd gears on a conventional automatic that most people never use.