1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B selector Transmission

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Toyota2, Dec 19, 2022.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I've understood that the engine and HSD to be managed, there sure doesn't seem to be any reason to push engine RPM above the max power point when in power production mode. Not like traditional vehicles where some additional road speed might be available.

On the braking side, I've done many hill descents in B mode, and seen engine braking above 4600-4800 RPM many times, but have never spotted it reaching 5000.

A frequent hill is steep enough that at 60 mph and something a bit over half of max payload, it doesn't have quite enough engine braking available to hold speed steady, so it gradually rolls up faster. While higher speeds might find a point where additional air drag is enough hold steady, that would be more above the speed limit than I'm willing to go.

But if I start the same hill at 50-52 mph, and keep off the gas pedal, it doesn't creep up. RPM spins to about the same numbers seen at 60, but braking power is sufficient to hold the speed or even slow down sightly. That is, until I push the gas pedal a bit to find the maximum balance point, and overshoot.