1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B under the D in the Drive gears?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Boojoo007, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    There is no physical connection to the transmission system though. The fact that you "go through" a position doesn't mean anything if the car doesn't interpret that input as anything.

The manual clearly says you need to hold the shifter in the N position before the car will interpret the request to change to the N state. If you move the shifter directly to D, the car won't interpret any request for N and therefore won't move to N.

Remember that in a Prius, all shift modes other than P simply change the logic implemented by the computer. P is the odd one out, because it physically engages the parking prawl. The car is never in a true neutral state because the planetary gear set is always engaged. The neutral mode simply implements a particular behaviour that simulates being in neutral in a regular car.

Given this thread is in the c forum and people are probably going to misinterpret this liftback discussion, I have to say again that the c is different. Because the c's shifter is the traditional style, moving through the N position on a c (between D and R and vice versa) will always select the N mode function at least briefly as you pass through.

robertmaria and Jeffrey Jessup like this.
  2. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am sorry I started posting a non c related question in a c forum, if it has caused any confusion. Still learning my way around the car and this website.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I only use the "N" position when I take ChuggyPig through the car-wash (lots of nasty salt here in the NE)

DROID4 ?

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...the only "dumb" questions are those which are never asked! ;)

DROID4 ?

ztanos and B2FiNiTY like this.
  5. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't "overcharge" the battery. On long downhills, when the battery gets "full" the ICE comes on automatically to provide compression braking. This is because the field to the MG's is turned off so they won't produce current, and therefore will not provide any braking.

"B" mode is pretty worthless in day to day driving, and is more likely a safety and legal item, just like low gear in your automatic. Every car has some kind of engine braking method.

6. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. Day-to-day you won't ever have to use B. But for mountain driving it work great. I drove down from Tahoe down to the valley and the B position helped me keep the speed down without having to abuse the breaks. I was using my dad Prius though, but I'm really sure it's the same with the C.

WilDavis likes this.