1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Baby #2 on the way. I want a hybrid minivan made by Toyota.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slortz, Nov 7, 2004.

1. slortz

slortz New Member

Thanks for the info, although I hope this isn't all Toyota plans to build in terms of hybrids for the next 4 years. I don't understand why they would want to build a hybrid Camry before a minivan. A hybrid Camry won't offer much, if anything, more than the Prius already does...a few inches different in passenger space and a few cubic feet in cargo.

Here's an interesting article on the Estima:
    http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articlevi...g=dsm20011201hm
    I'm not exactly sure when it was written, but no earlier than 2001.
    And here's another I found:
    http://www.auto-asia.com/viewcontent.asp?pk=5767
    This last one is interesting because it was written in June 2001 and it talks about how the Estima is being "mass produced" in Japan. 10,000 units in 2000 and 9,600 in the first 5 months of 2001.
    Damn! All the cool stuff comes out in Japan years ahead of the US!

2. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard the 2008 Sienna or 2009 will be hybrid from the Prius salesman at the Hanlees TOYOTA of Davis, CA.

3. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard the 2008 Sienna or 2009 will be hybrid from the Prius salesman at the Hanlees TOYOTA of Davis, CA.

Sorry double post

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang, this thread is 2 years old! I was a junior member back then. Time flies!

5. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slortz @ Nov 7 2004, 01:35 AM) [snapback]48966[/snapback]</div>
    Right with you on that. My wife has said the same thing. We're ok with 2 kids and a Prius, but we know lots of families that would consider a hybrid only in the context of a replacement minivan. And, for what it's worth, surveys of attitudes of minvan owners as opposed to SUV owners show that the minivan crowd is, on average, the compassionate-caring crowd that would tend to value the environmental benefits.

So, we think Toyota missed a large market segment and they appear to be moving to correct that. It's only a matter of time.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Get in line. I'm still #2 for a Hyenna at Boulder Toyota.

Nate

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My wife is the primary driver of our Odyssey. Most of her drives are between 2-5 miles for busing the kids. I am not sure that that kind of short distances would work to maximize MPG in a hybrid minivan. (we all know that the first few miles you get 30+ mpg in a Prius, probably 20+ in a minivan of 4400lbs). However, it is still something to look forward to. Don't forget that some cargo space would have to be sacrificed due to battery. :(