1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back after a long hiatus

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by lamebums, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all--

[Edit - Somehow the forum ate my original post when I tried to edit it. So here goes again.]

I'm back after taking quite a long hiatus (four years). I used to be involved with hybrid and hypermiler's groups, culminating with CincyMPG hosting several meetups that year. Unfortunately, my interest waned as gas prices fell and life's general events took over.

I was, and am still driving, a 2000 Toyota Echo, with a 5-speed manual. I bought it back in late 2007 with about 80k miles on it, and now it's up to 170k, and still running. It's been through it all - hurricanes, hailstorms, snow, ice, rain, college - you name it. The hood is slightly pitted from all the highway miles (rocks, etc.). Now, I'm a full-time law student, fixing to graduate in about two years. I'm currently in the market for a good cheap Prius because Echo needs some serious work (clutch, shocks and struts, new tires, and an alignment - combined I'm looking at something north of $3,000), and it simply isn't worth getting fixed. It's had a good run, but it's time to move on, I think.

The next logical step is a Prius, I think - mainly because with the Echo I pretty much lived north of 40 MPG, and I hate paying for gas. I've already contacted Steve at Autobeyours and he's on the lookout for a suitable vehicle, so it's probably only a matter of times before I get behind the wheel of a Prius myself. I'm here to get more knowledge and experience, as most of my experience was limited to my hypermiling days (in other words, generally less than 30 MPH with a maxed out MFD). I still keep to most of my fuel-efficient ways.

Lastly, since CinciyMPG had a good run back in the day, I'd like to gauge interest in a revival - Southern Ohio Hybrid Association sound like a catchy phrase, anyone?

Edit: Here's the CincyMPG meet from October 22, 2008:

[​IMG]

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome back... good luck in your search!

3. speedy car

speedy car New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All the best Mate..

4. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Small update. I've been in touch with Steve and I'm headed down Wednesday to test drive a vehicle and possibly put down a deposit on one (it would take a couple weeks to get the necessary $ together).

[​IMG]

5. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another small update-- went ahead and put a deposit down on the vehicle. I'll be able to pay off the balance in about a week, at which point I'll be the owner of a new Prius.