1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back from holidays to a P3030

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by RathlinPhil, Jan 12, 2022.

1. RathlinPhil

RathlinPhil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi peeps, I haven't used my car in about 6 weeks and started it to find P3030. The battery voltage on block 16 is 0v and the adjacent one is reading 20v instead of the normal 15.8. Can anyone please advise on a the best way to investigate further before I go in for a dive....?

Ps the 3135 code has been there for a while, it relates to a short circuit on the collision sensor , I don't really care about it but if anyone has any experience tracing that I would also like to hear.

Happy new year Prius people.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Collision sensors for air bags have yellow multi tab connectors under hood one mine had a dinged wire repaired wire into yellow connector .cleared never returned they're a few sensors under hood . Look at them . I guess one the square sensors could be bad. In my other gen2ive bagged these sensors filled bag w foam and remounted . So bags won't go off in light Park lot dings grazing dumpsters etc ..

RathlinPhil likes this.
  3. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Cool thanks for the info, just found one of them on the starboard side below/behind the headlight , took the connector apart and the wires seem fine. I can see the other one in the same place on the port side although It seems hard to get at , being below the inverter. I pretty sure the Fault will be with that one, as I changed the inverter last year and probably disturbed it. Can probably get to it by taking the headlight out. Anyway thanks for the info about the yellow connectors, I had no idea what to look for , but i found them straight away when you said yellow ..... Cheers Tombukt2.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They're a pain in the rear end to separate too You need a little pick to pull up the tab and then push and pull and they break easily in case you have to pull the connectors apart electric grease them and put them back together Good luck

5. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Battery issue requires battery disassembly, most likely voltage sensing harness have broken wire on block 16, another possibility is corroded sensing harness connector.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe access it the battery. And if you're not too old and still pretty spry just pull the plug take the top off the battery and have a look like Alex said you're going to have a broken sense wire or some serious corrosion on that zero bank or at worst the battery has leaked that bank cell whatever has shorted leaked etc. Careful scrutiny you will see the corrosion look on all the nuts holding things to orange you'll see what I'm talking about

7. Sohaib Alarabi

Sohaib Alarabi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello am possibly answering too late ...but i met this problem with a friends car few weeks ago ....
    Check the viltage leads that go into the hv battery modules ... U know the shiny silver looking things that are placed on the copper bus bars from the side that connects into the battery control unit... Most likely the last one or the one 18th one is broken ....and its gonna make the block before it give an exaggerated voltage reading ... Just fix the voltage lead that is broken and its gonna go back to normal ... U can use the buzzer in a normal multimeter to see which one has a bad or connection by back probing the connector from the BCU side and matching color with the end touching the battery module lead... Hope this can be useful for future reference

RathlinPhil likes this.
  8. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the advice, I have the battery out and there was a fair amount of corrosion on the bus bars and sense wires so I cleaned all those, but then I pulled the multi pin connector to the computer assay and realized there was three pins corroded and broken off in the plug . Does anyone know if you can swap the computer? Or is it coded to the vehicle?

9. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not coded, can be swapped without issues.