1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

back pain solutions

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Jan 28, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a few months after quitting the PT, he is feeling back to about baseline... that is, mildly annoying but surely tolerable. which is where we started this time last year when we decided to go after it. so all that medical crap and the only "improvement" is that the stuff that got worse, got better when we quit seeing the doctors. hmph.

simple fact is, he needs to work less. i think he's finally accepted that and is making changes. we're out of the side job business for the time being, now that all of our friends have safe vehicles to drive. i think that helps. i give back rubs when he complains of being sore, but i really should get back to working on the trigger points again. i've been tired/sleep deprived lately and it's hard to get myself to do that toward the end of the evening.

the problem with that illegal treatment is that tolerance develops to the analgesic effects long before the psychotropic effects. and since this signaling system is so involved in regulation of pain, i bet developing tolerance to the exogenous partial agonist would contribute to lessen the effects of the endogenous partial agonists and therefore the internal regulation of pain perception. always the pluses and minuses...

2. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Time is what helped him most, after all that, with attendant lifestyle changes.

A common truth. I try to put that forward whenever a chronic relapsing pain problem is on the plate.. hope the doctor and procedure bills don't utterly stress you out. It's an expensive lesson. :(

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :lol: the bills are another story altogether. we could have damn near paid off the prius instead. all we can do is laugh at it by now, anything else is useless.

again, time put him back where he used to be before all the medical intervention made things worse. i suppose i sound a lot more jaded than i should. but we've been through hell and back this past year in so, so many ways.

4. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 28 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]381939[/snapback]</div>
    I would suggest a good Yoga class (not the ones you get at the gym, but go to a 'real' studio with experienced teachers and explain your specific situation to them before class). A VERY common course of lower back-pain is tight hamstring muscles, and the correct stretching routine can bring great relief and offer a possible permanent 'fix' to the problems.

A futon-matresse might be another possible solution. They are firmer than standard matresses, yet soft-enough to be very comfortable. They HUGELY improved my personal back-pain problems.

And my final solution would be acupuncture. While I've never tried it myself, I've heard a TON of good stuff about it from friends.

I would most definitely try any of these before I take such drastic steps as surgergy:)

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 26 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]430681[/snapback]</div>
    I just found an inversion table at Sam's Club for $100 ... its about a $300 unit that they are clearing out. I have to tell you, it has provided the most relief of anything I've tried so far. I "invert" for a few minutes each morning and then when I get home from work. Started out at 3 minutes and not quite upside down, and now I do 5 - 6 minutes nearly upside down. Never thought hanging from your feet could make me feel so good.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the inversion table only worked while he was on it. no long term anything from it, unfortunately. he used it religiously for over a month and nothing. we ended up needing the money and returning it about 10 days after the return policy expired... the folks over at play it again sports were very nice and refunded the entire amount when i explained the situation.

for a quick pick-me-up, he hangs off the lift in his bay. it has a similar effect. :)

7. Arrallen

Arrallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Herniated my disc at L-4, L-5 after two operations was able to walk with a walker. I went to physical therapy for 6 weeks, no help finally out of desperation tried a machine called Vax-D twice a week for 6 weeks which stretches the back. Works better then inversion which I also tried. I still have sciatica down the right leg when the weather is turning. Doc got me on Gabapentin, a nerve deadener and Tylenol. Google Vax-D and you can probably find a therapist near you.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    finally, 18 months and a lot of money later...

L4-L5 and L5-S1 both bulge and have posterior tears that leak fluid into the spinal canal, irritating the nerves. the discs themselves cause the low back pain, the nerve irritation causes the leg pain.

our only feasible option is for him to do far less lifting at work. he is trying to work something out with his current job, since he loves what he does. we shall see what happens.

lesson learned: if your doctor is not helpful, go find another.

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 23 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]501055[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds familiar. I'm similar, and they recommended surgery when the pain gets unbearable. The reason they wait is that there's only about a 50% chance that the surgery will actually stop the pain. Are they recommending that for him later?

I've forgotten now ... did he get any relief from the massage and traction? I'm managing my pain with an inversion machine that provides traction and my $25 solution ... a tennis ball and the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. If massage helped him, even temporarily, and the PT was finding "tight" muscles or "trigger points", I'd recommend the book. The author has adapted the medical research into some easy, extremely low cost self-massage methods that seem to work pretty well.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    massage is very much temporary. we discussed getting a tennis ball... it's just been a while since i've done much shopping beyond the absolute necessaries. it sounds so ridiculous since tennis balls can't be expensive. i found a website dedicated to the book you mention, and we have tried possible trigger points in question but not a lot of relief there either.

surgery isn't really an affordable option... the only thing that might help is an IDET, intradiscal electrothermal therapy, which is not covered by insurance. and even that is a "might" help, like in your case.

epidural steroid injections, if placed properly, should help the leg pain. it's the low back pain that's highly irritated by the lifting he does. the wheels on the bigger 'yotas are pretty heavy- a 4runner wheel is about 90 lbs. something there will have to change.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 23 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]501055[/snapback]</div>
    There's a good chance the leg pain is from the piriformis being in spasm from being irritated by the sciatic nerve because of the L4-L5 disc problem.

That's what I have only no rupture. Just bulging at L4-L5. It irritated the sciatic nerve that put the piriformis into spasm. The Physical Therapist at the HMO gave me the wrong exercises for piriformis syndrome (to make me limber) and eventually the pain was so bad my right foot went numb and I started to drag it. Chiropractor gave me correct exercises (to strengthen my piriformis) and suggested MRI that revealed the herniated discs. My problem is that I was too limber and my muscles too weak. Your husband's problem may be that he's not limber enough. That's what it is for a majority of people.

1. Girdle. I know. Not something your husband is going to be happy about at all. But consider something like a tight bicycle short. That's what I got. Stretchy but just enough support. Chiropractor said wear it all of the time at first. Then only when I was going to be on my feet a lot or I was in pain. Then I could start going without when I could. Now I don't wear it anymore, but I still have it in case I need it. I might wear it during textbook checkout the first few weeks of school.

2. Shoes. He needs really good shoes. SAS is really expensive but since I started wearing these butt ugly shoes it has really helped my back. And I can't go back to wearing my old shoes because now I can FEEL how really bad they are. No support whatsoever. No cushioning. Yes, they're expensive. Get one pair for him to wear all of the time when he works. Seriously. This is even more important than the girdle.

3. Restricted movement. This is the hardest. Try to avoid bending over. Don't lift heavy things. I know, I know. But you'd be surprised at ways you can compensate or be creative. I'm a librarian. I no longer carry armloads of books. I use the book truck. I sit in a chair or even on the floor when I'm stacking to avoid bending over or staying bent.

And if you can find a really, REALLY good Chiropractor that really knows what they're doing, they can help. I was in almost constant pain. Now I'm pain free. It took two years. I thought I'd never be "normal" again. I've gone from once a week visits to once every 6-8 weeks. This summer I actually was able to do things around the house and yard. But I know my limits and I've learned to stop when I start to feel it and wait before starting again. Much better than surgery.

SAS shoes are not sold on the internet, only in stores. But you can get them cheaper on eBay. New, never worn but you have to know you're exact size. Find an SAS store and have DH get his feet measured. You may think you know your shoe size but they are really specific on not only length but width and where the ball of your feet is. Once DH knows exactly what SAS shoe size he is, check eBay for shoes. I imagine he is less fussy about style and color for something he'll be wearing every day at work. I am not kidding. He needs a pair of really good shoes if he's on his feet on concrete all day. If you're lucky you should be able to get a pair on eBay for about $25.00 as opposed to the over $100.00 you'd pay in an SAS store. Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason SAS shoes are expensive and that they've managed to grow as a business without advertising or selling on the internet.

12. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 24 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]501417[/snapback]</div>
    I think people underestimate the importance of a quality shoe and a proper fit. A poor fit can affect your body in peripheral areas. This is an excellent point, Galaxee. I've heard that upwards of 50% do not fit their shoes properly. New Balance supposedly has one of the best designs/quality for a walking shoe. They've installed a roll bar that will help balance his gait. And maybe give a thought to individually molded orthotics as an insert????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthotics

Just make sure he gets the shoes where they're really knowledgeable about shoe fitting and goes to a doctor renowned for foot care. As a for instance, my husband injured his sesamoids and his orthotics were designed with a dip in this area of his foot so that there is limited pressure on the sesamoids.

This should prove far less expensive that the means you've endured so far and it's probable he'll get some relief from this.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.
    Doc Martin's makes a nice steel toe with a thick rubber sole. My DH is on his feet, on concrete, 12 hours a day, usually on the move. His shoes are all that keeps him upright.

I've had some serious lower back/hip issues in my life. When I was 20, x-rays showed that my lower back tipped OUT, not in. Here I am, too many years later, and I'm still mobile, and my lower back tips in now.

What may help (get this cleared by a qualified physical therapist or orthopedic doctor): Yoga -- specifically, I do two things. I bend over and "hang" towards the floor. DO NOT push, reach, or try to touch anything. Just hang there, letting gravity work. Work up to 3-5 minutes (terribly tough, really). At least twice during this, you will suddenly drop another inch to three down...
    I can't remember the name of the other one, but it involves laying on your tummy on the (well-padded) floor, and lifting one leg to the ceiling, slowly....slowly.....hold..... lower it. Repeat with other leg. Work up until you can hold them for what seems like forever, and do a few reps.

I have a co-worker who's wife was injured on the job. She has ruptured disks/bulging, pain, unable to lay down, stand up, or sit for more than 10 minutes at a time. After a year of LNI malarky, they finally sent her to a pain clinic.

This was revolutionary for her. Her pain still exists, but she now has the tools to deal with it, and she has exercises that are strengthening the muscles on each side of her spine, which is taking the stress and pressure off those disks that are damaged.

If you aren't totally at the end of your rope, I would suggest looking into a D.O. rather than an M.D., a Yoga instructor that deals with injury relief, and a referral to a pain clinic.

I do hope for all the best for you both.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Definately get an OK from the Dr. for Yoga. Because I am too flexible, my Chiropractor has forbidden me to do Yoga, since I can't tell what will benefit me and what will make me worse. She has given me specific exercises to strengthen the muscles I need to strengthen.

That's important. Because there are going to be muscles that are going to try to compensate for the back problems, it's important to identify them and strengthen them.

I'm not familiar with Doc Martins, but he needs a sole that will cushion every step he takes to lessen the impact on his back as he walks. I know SAS shoes are constructed this way. Some orthotics might also serve the same purpose but they'd need to be built for "shock absorbing". Other shoes, not so sure so that will take research.

Obviously the first and cheapest thing to do is to stop bending over and picking up heavy things.

But the next step should be a really good pair of shoes. They should be the shoes he wears most often.

Now that he knows what's going on, finding a professional to give him the proper exercises and therapy should be easier.

Another thing not mentioned is....the mattress. I bought a new mattress when I started having pain and it helped some, but not entirely. There is also sitting. I eventually sold my Saturn because the seats in that car were aggravating my back. I had it reupholstered but that didn't help. I have a nice lumbar support I use in the car, at home and at work. Everyone has a different style they favor. I like this one:

Mesh Lumbar support

He might consider this as well.

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    unfortunately, a lot of the suggestions that have been made to him here and elsewhere involve him no longer being able to perform his job duties. in order to do what he does, he has to have full range of motion, and he has to be on his feet about 14 hours a day. he has to be standing up and reaching up and pounding on things. he has to be lifting and putting down and picking up and all that. which is why he would like to try to work out some specific niche job duties that he excels at while maintaining the career he has worked so hard to advance in. we're trying to decide what a "reasonable accommodation" is.

i think we did about 16 months of aggressive pursuit of a proper diagnosis and treatment before he was referred to the pain clinic. the pain doctor is who finally got him a proper diagnosis, and is also the one who told him the way to getting better is not to stress that disc. mechanistically, lifting and putting the extra pressure on the disc is what's causing the fluid to leak out. and that stressing the disc is what freaks out those damaged nerve endings and causes the referred pain in the lower back area. a "normal" job where he's not performing all these crazy feats would do much for his back pain. aside from that, we've tried a lot of different things to no avail.

we may look at orthotics if they can make something for his current work boots. we have yet to find anything better, and his work boots are the one thing we do spend big on. they're slip resistant, oil resistant soles (a must), and most importantly, electrical shock resistant. plus, he normally tears footwear apart in under a year, but these tend to last 2+ years.

we may consult another PT or OT. his vertebral space isn't really compressed, and the disc bulges do not contact the end of the spinal cord so that is probably not an issue. but a set of doable exercises that don't make things worse like the last set may be good for him.

but i do think we're about through with pursuing medical treatment and are down to trying for work-duty changes. we're tapped out in a bad way right now, and since we have a reasonable explanation with evidence from imaging and from his experiences, i think we're satisfied with the diagnosis. we'll try the only real surgical option when it becomes more reliable and covered by insurance, but that will be a while.

ah yes. back when we were doing better financially, we bought a tempur pedic mattress. best money we've ever spent, *period*, excluding more sentimental things like the wedding.

the seats in his new car are far better than the camry seats, though those were comfortable too.

we bought a reading pillow for him too, since that's mostly what he does aside from work. :)

today's been a light day at work- college students moving in means 2-3 weeks of slow business. he's feeling just fine, i just talked to him a minute ago. it's the job that does it, which really sucks. he absolutely loves what he does.

16. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My sister lives in Greensboro. She found a shoe place that, as I understand it, measures your feet and makes shoes for you. Her shoes were about 80 bucks, I think. I don't know if they make work boots, but it may be worth checking into. If you'd like, I can ask her for the details.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can heartily recommend orthotics for both leg and back pain. A girdle is out, no matter how much pain I'm in, but compression or bike shorts under his overalls should help. There's a new kind of compression short available that has more crossing fibres and much better support. How does the big guy feel about lycra instead of tighty-whities? :D

18. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a medical specialist called a physiatrist. As best I can understand it, they are physical therapists with a MD degree. My neighbor went to one after his ordinary doctor wanted to do surgery on his shoulder. The physiatrist prescribed a very specific set of exercises, and the shoulder is now entirely normal. Don't let anyone do back surgery until a physiatrist agrees that it's the only way to go.

I took a class in Pilates from a lady who said that she was scheduled for back surgery about 20 years ago. She tried Pilates instead, and hasn't had the surgery yet. Apparently her back x-rays still indicate that she needs surgery, but the Pilates exercises are sufficient to be completely functional and pain free.

Yoga and Pilates are similar, so much so that some instructors teach both disciplines. I think Pilates is more oriented at physical function, while yoga is more spiritual. There is a wide range of skill and expense involved with both yoga and Pilates. Individual instruction on thousand dollar machines may be the ultimate, but group classes at the YMCA or local community college can also be useful. Beware any instructor who demonstrates competition - "I can reach inner peace faster than you can". I've been quite happy with several Pilates instructors. Yoga has just been a demonstration of the impossible.

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 23 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]501415[/snapback]</div>
    Tennis balls = 3 for $2.49! I was shocked they were so cheap.

If he's able to self massage with the tennis ball, its something he can do almost anywhere. I have found "trigger points" by standing against the wall and placing the tennis ball on various muscles, and then leaning back. When you hit one, you know it. Then, you just locate the ball on the trigger point, lean back and move up and down about an inch to "massage" it and try to get the muscle to release. Limit the "massage" to 8 to 12 "strokes". Don't do that more than 4 to 6 times a day, because you can irritate the muscle. This is not a "feel good" massage until you stop doing it!

Sometimes the relief is immediate (my heel pain, which I thought was tendonitis, was that way, and the trigger point for it was positioned where I could massage it with my other knee). My "burning kidney pain", just above my hip bones on both sides, is being more stubborn but after a few days, its much better. The trigger points for it are between the pain area and the spine, and those muscles are very tender because of the "muscle guarding" and trigger points.

My sciatica finally went away after three months of stretching, sleeping with a pillow under my knees, etc. It was brutal. The piriformis stretch helped ... once I had the right one. For my back problem, the "sitting piriformis" stretch killed me and just aggravated it. The only one that works for me is the one where you are flat on your back, with your legs bent:

<div align="center">[​IMG]</div>

I'm sure you guys got a ton of the exercises and stretches he can do. There often isn't any payoff for quite a while with them, so I was very frustrated.