1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back to great fuel milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SnT08Prius, Nov 25, 2017.

1. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After replacing the cat on our trip to New mexico (expensive when on the road) the Prius has now returned to 47mpg around the city (was down to 38-42). The other day it hit 50mpg with 200 miles on the tank that day.

When you do up to 1,000 miles per week, every extra mpg counts.

The car now has 238,000 miles on the ODO.

So the converter was 90% blocked and made the engine unable to run at highway speed. The HV battery was attempting to make up for the lack of gas engine power. A very smart car in many ways.

The car is now running great with only a little oil burning when the oil hits 2,000 miles. So we now change the oil every 3 weeks.

2. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were there any other symptoms, such as laboring or stalling on hills?

Caliseo24 likes this.
  3. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car had 2 times of the triangle warning, once for low oil and the other for battery over heating. Added oil, cleaned the fan and this stopped the warning lights going off.

The only other clue was the HV battery depleting very quickly. This pointed to the HV battery having a cell going bad. Took the battery out and every cell was 1.78 V or very close to it. I was surprised to find this.

So the HV battery was working hard to make up for the gas engine not being able to breath. The only real issue was that it did not code out until 90% blocked and almost not able to run.

4. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. With as many miles as I have on my 2005, I've been wondering about the converter. I get abut 42 to 43 mpg where I live. I'm in the sticks, uphill both ways out of town. In Seattle I get 50mpg, but it's all flat driving I do there. I may just pop into a muffler shop and have them check the back-pressure at the tailpipe so see if the converter's clogging.

5. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that once passed 200k the converter can be a real issue. Even when only 50% blocked. Toyota want way too much for a converter. A muffler shop should offer a much better price option for a replacement.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious if this is something other then a hand near the tail pipe?

7. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We had our cat removed for inspection. The repair place was 100% sure it was the issue due to the code recorded on my phone app and the symptoms we described. Not sure if you can tell with a hand over the tail pipe or not.

SFO likes this.
  8. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there are tests for backpressure. However, they're somewhat subjective. Often, if the converter is plugged the symptoms are,
    • you can see it at night. The exhaust system cannot evacuate the hot gasses as fast as the engine can produce them. This causes the system to trap the heat. That can be measured, as well as seen at night. If the converter is really plugged up the converter, downpipe, and sometimes exhaust manifold will actually glow a dull to bright red from the heat. It is quite impressive.
    • Since the Prius ICE is not always running, the exhaust system does get some breathing room. This means that the converters seemingly last longer. When the ICE is not running there still some backpressure traveling through that clogged converter. This problem sneaks up on you far slower than on a conventional gas engine powered car.
    • The vehicle loses power on hills. This is because all that loose debris falls to the back of the converter and plugs up the outlet. You pull over on the highway and turn of the engine. The pressure dissipates as you wait in frustration. You restart the car, and since there's no pressure built up in the exhaust system, you drive merrily away. When you top the hill the debris fall back down to the bottom of the converter and the backpressure can flow freely again... until the next hill when the cycle may repeat itself.
    Tests can involve
    • removing the pressure via a small hole drilled in the converter, or the piping and
    • measuring pressure build up (if you're that sophisticated, me, I'm not). I have to admit, I'm not sure what the measurement is on a Prius, I suspect is different than on a non-hybrid gas engine. I've always done business with Mom & Pop exhaust shops most of my life. They'll simply
    • rap on the converter and listen for falling debris in the converter.
    • relieve the pressure by drilling a small, hole in the converter and seeing if engine power is restored. If the problem is not the converter then they can weld up the hole.
    • Measure the heat of the converter.
    I also agree that the Toyota Dealer is NOT the place to go for this type of work unless you're kind of rich and willing to pour your bank-account out on the service desk. I base this solely on the price differential, not quality of parts or labor. I'd much rather deal with a good Mom & Pop place. They usually have a good reputation in the area and rely on word of mouth for new customers. I've yet to be let down by one.

SFO and SnT08Prius like this.
  9. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick update: Trip to Heber Overgaard from Phoenix involves about 7 good climbs on the way up and 1 less on the way back.

The car kept up the 75mph speed going up and was sitting on 38.9mpg when arrived. The battery charged properly and behaved well.

The trip home gave a 54.7mpg - and that is by far the best the car has got for some years. (242,000 miles now and original HV battery)

Aaron Vitolins and SFO like this.
  10. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    thanks for the tip, never even thought about the cat. I bet mine is plugged up real well. The only problem is that with oil burning you will quickly plug up another cat as well. A simple answer is to replace with a test pipe, but won't pass emissions that way. If you cat isn't performing well you should be throwing codes p0401 and 402 too related to the downstream o2 sensor readings

11. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a note that a bad cat is often a symptom of burning oil. If you just replace the cat without doing some things to reduce oil use, it will go bad fairly quickly. I would switch up an oil grade and use high mileage oil (probably 10W-40 or 5W-40) with as low of ZDDP as possible (ZDDP is an excellent anti-wear additive, but it's bad for cats when burining oil). Also, many here have reported reduced oil use after running injector/fuel cleaner or other engine cleaning methods. The theory is that the piston rings are getting gunked up and letting oil by, and so removing this buildup reduces the oil use.

Rational, T.S. Elliot and SnT08Prius like this.