1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

back up beeping Prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pieman16, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An hour! I'd throw out the BS Flag, 5 minutes tops, and they should do it for free!

2. jcool10181

jcool10181 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    got mine done yesterday for free. no BS needed. just told my SA that it's distracting.

single beep reverse is much better than that annoying multiple beeps!

3. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I told the service advisor that it bugs the hell out of me. the "hour" is for the technician to get under the dash, to hook up the computer, get to the code . . . blah blah blah. I worked for a dealership when I was a kid so I know when to throw the BS flag and this is one occasion. I'll talk to my salesman and see if he can do anything. I sure as s**t won't pay them $30 to do it.

4. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can the beeps for a G3 be slowed down? I recently had my 20k service at the dealer and they told they could/would not turn off the back-up beeper. Thanks.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Honestly, if a person needs to be reminded they are in R and they can't remember having JUST NOW put it into R and they cannot see on the screen then they should not be driving. This should be a litmus, actually; when renewing license ask people if they want a beep when in reverse. All who say yes automatically cannot renew their license.
    If it's no more complex than hooking up an OBDII scanner a total buffoon can do it in 30 seconds, honest to God. I know stealerships love to charge an hour for everything, though. I wish I had made removing the beep part of the deal to buy the car, thus forcing them to do it (I've not been back since, though, maybe they'll do it for free).

6. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I leased a new 2010 Pkg 4 on August 31st from SF Toyota.

Discussed modifying the reverse beep w/my salesperson at time of pickup. Arranged an appointment w/the salesperson on Sept. 14th to modify the reverse beeping to one beep only AND to turn off the seat belt beeping for both front seats. Picked up and drove the salesperson to the dealer prep shop nearby, where he took it in and had the changes done only a few minutes.

No BS about "safety" issues and NO CHARGE!! :rockon:

7. Dochatley

Dochatley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so I go to the dealer and tell him I want the Beep set to just beep 1 time when it goes into reverse. They tell me it can't be done. I tell them it is in the owners manual that it and several other features can be changed. So I call the Toyota Customer Service number when you can't get satisfaction from the dealership and talk to them. I tell them what the manual says, the page number and he puts me on hold while he checks. Comes back and says yes it can be customized. Gives me a case number and says the dealership will be notified. So, I go to the dealership that afternoon and pull into the service bay. Young kid comes out ask what I need. I tell him and he goes inside, talks to the "Jerk" that told me 2 days before it couldn't be done. Young kid comes out and tells me they say it can't be done. I tell him it can and go in to the "Jerks" office and tell him it can be done and he can call Toyota, here is the case number. So he decides to find the service manager and they call a tech down. The tech comes to the car with his laptop telling me the whole time it can't be done. After about 3 minutes he says, " it can be changed, alot of things can be adjusted. You couldn't do this on the 09's". So I told him as he finished making several changes to please go tell the guys in the service department that I was right and it can be done.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What a hassle. It's amazing that the car's been out almost a year & they are still clueless. Find someone at the corporate office & express your dissatisfaction. The next step is to record very low scores on the customer service survey.

The moral of the story is to get this cleared up during the sales negotiation.

9. Laurabird

Laurabird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you all for letting people know this could be altered. Before I took delivery of my new car, I requested that the reverse beeping and the seatbelt beeping be changed to just one beep. The dealer did it, no problem.

The salesperson asked me where I learned that this was posisble and I told him Prius Chat. (He had never heard of it.)

Laura
    2010 Prius V, BP w/Navigation

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some dealers do it right. Zero problems with Holman Toyota. Glad to hear your dealer came through as well.

11. Rachmaninov

Rachmaninov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just had my 2010 Prius V backup beeping disabled to only beep only once at Earnhardt Toyota in Mesa AZ. There was a little confusion about whether it could be done, but they were quite willing to do it. No charge.

12. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for starting this thread!

we just took delivery yesterday and my wife is complaining about the beeping. we have a very long driveway and it really gets on her last nerve. ok, I think I got on her LAST nerve....must be her last 1/2 nerve......:p

anyway, after reading this we now know to call our dealer tomorrow and get the backup beeper changed to a single beep. :)

13. sokkerdad

sokkerdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    took my 2010 IV in for its first scheduled maintenance and told them I wnated the beep changed to a single beep. They told me they would see what they could do. When they called and said it was ready I asked them about it and they sid that it was a safety issue and they could not do it. I just said I would check with Toyota Customer Service to find out what could be done and I would pick it up later. 5 minutes later they called back and said it was changed!
    :D

14. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or just get a ScanGauge II and do it yourself along with the seat belt beepers...and get all the other gauges, Xgauges etc that will easily keep you informed about your car..About $135-150 depending on where?? Very easy to integrate on the Prius.

15. masini

masini New Member

Model:
    IV
    I for one do not have confidence in these professionals. You only want to take money. I do not know how to make them go back to May. Will you take the money and just to both.

16. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    made an appointment with our dealer for next week. our saleman said they don't promote it, but if one of their customers says the beeping drives them crazy, they'll change it to a single beep at no charge. takes only about 30 minutes with an appointment. YEA!

our dealer? O'Brien Toyota in Indianapolis!!! GREAT PEOPLE!!!! :D

17. DerekinaPrius

DerekinaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I called my dealer today (Centennial Toyota in Las Vegas) and no one in the service department knew what I was talking about in regards to the reverse beep. He took my name and number and said he'd call me back when he talks to his "lead Prius tech." Also, I asked if they could turn off the seatbelt beep and he quickly, and rather adamantly, refused and said it was "a safety issue."

I have a feeling I'm going to get the run-around from these folks. :(

18. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to belabor, but, 30 SECONDS with a ScanGauge...same with belt beepers...through Xgauge facility, codes of which exist in numerous places on this forum. None of this "gee, not sure if we can" or, "we dont recommend" or, or..."whatever"...

Plus you can get instant MPG, GPH, AMPS, trip stuff...whatever, many cool data bits. I'm not associated with ScanGauge, but just put one I had for a year or so, for another car, into my new 2010 IV...

19. JudithZ

JudithZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was told by salesman a month ago when I bought the Prius that it could not be turned off. This was at Walnut Creek Toyota. I would love to have it turned off; it's really annoying.

20. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As others have said.....your a new owner.....tell this dealer that your owners survey that we all fill out will reflect your unhappiness with his dealership. My dealer turned it off, no questions asked, no fee.

Let him know that you would like to have a great relationship with him, your only asking he to quiet the beeping noise.