1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BACK UP CAMERA FOR 2012 PRIUS two TOUCH SCREEN- NON NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by man2ing, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. sphereman

sphereman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a great post..
    Let me clarify something here though...

So, if you have a 2012 Prius Pkg 2, it is pre-wired, correct?
    Does pre-wired mean that all connectors are already there? or do you still need to cut wires and solder them?
    In other words, if you buy an OEM Prius back-up camera from a dealership (with bracket and etc), you can basically plug and play???

Thanks so much for the help!!

3. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sphereman,
    The way I read this, the wiring is there from the "radio" to the connector in the roof by the rear hatch. You have to run your own wire from the camera to the roof connector or to a connector by the drivers kick panel. Not sure if you need to do soldering, but you need to get wire connectors that allow you to tap into an existing wire. Depending on what camera you get, you may need to get connectors to press on the four pins on it.
    The radio will know about the camera when it is connected up, so no change is needed there (thank goodness).
    The camera part is what has me confused. Is the camera from the dealer really $700 ? That seems like a real markup
    from the $50 they are running on ebay.
    One more thing. When you get a factory camera, I think it "sees' out a hole in the rear hatch. If you really got a prius camera you would need to drill a hole in the back hatch for it to look out.
    Some of the cameras come with a bracket to replace one of the license plate lights ??
    If something I said is wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me :)

4. wildiin

wildiin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have gone back to the dealers and looked at another prius with factory camera, and what I've seen the camera is mounted to the body of the car with the back of the camera inside the hatch and I'm assuming it has a factory wiring plug like the lights and the hatch release lever.

Looking at the link Ray Chen Posted in Post 41, that camera should work fine.

5. wildiin

wildiin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes the radio is fully wire for the camera. No need to pull the dash apart at all.
    From what I saw back at the dealer, if you buy a OEM Prius Camera you will need to drill holes in your hatch to mount the camera.

6. wildiin

wildiin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have access to a tone tester you can fined the wires run up the harness by the small back window on the drivers side.

7. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the wiring really there in the rear hatch door ? I know people are saying it is there as far as the connector
    in the headliner near the rear hatch door. It would be too good to be true if the wiring and the camera connector
    were in the rear hatch door. Anyone with a 2012 pulled the lower rear hatch panel off ? I've got a 2012, but I'm
    not sure how to remove that panel. Does it just press on ? If I pull on it, would it just come off like a door
    panel ? Is there any tricks that anyone would care to offer ?

8. DumLong

DumLong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I jumped in the back of the hatch and from the footwell I'd have to run wires through both door sills front and back, then up the rear quarter panel trim piece, find a way to sneak under the headliner and come out through the rubber connector into the hatch, take off trim pieces from the hatch, punch out the camera blank and mount.

is there a guide out there how all of these trim pieces come off?

It sounds like I could find the same wires near the small back window too and that that would reduce the length of wiring needed.

Does anyone have any input on the 2010-12 prius camera vs the oem tacoma? Looking at the year specific Prius one it looks like the bracket would help provide the correct angle for the optimal mount angle but I'm not sure that's worth the $200 premium for a used camera vs. a new tacoma camerat at $60 shipped.

9. wildiin

wildiin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes the wires are in the harness at the rear of the headliner. They do not come out of the harness to the rear hatch.
    To remove the panel cover in the hatch, you need to start at the top. remove the top center section by the hatch hinge, then the two sides, then the bottom section, and finally the center. just get a good grip and pull.

I your talking about the panel on the outside of the car were the camera will be, there are 4 nuts that need to come of the inside to get it off.

our1vue likes this.
  10. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Deleted

Attached Files:

our1vue likes this.
  11. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ray,
    What a great picture ! Thanks for making it. It sure looks like the easiest way to do this is to add the wires to the headliner connector. The end of the rubber tube is about 2" into the headliner. Seems like if you have opened it up that far, a few more inches to get to the connector would not make much difference. Is the headliner glued in or is it held in
    by push pins ?

12. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is PAIN of my nice person to remove the headliner!!!!

13. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I must be dumb nice person. I removed all plastic shrouds around seatbelts, dome lights, sun shaders, bah bah ..... To get that plug.

14. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ray,
    Just looking at my car, it looks like if you just removed the one panel above the seat belts, that should allow
    the back of the headliner to be pulled down. It is the panel that says air bags on it behind the rear seat. It looks
    like that is what people are removing to run the wire to the front anyway. I'll have to see if I can look
    in the repair manual. I have to admit that I'm not too crazy working around that air bag though.

15. ikagan

ikagan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an FYI, Alpine makes an 6V (5.5-6.5) cameras. There are few models one is
    HCE-C117D.

16. sphereman

sphereman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wow.. more great posts... thanks!
    if it is not asking too much, can somebody take some pictures of the wires at the end of the headliner (if they already pulled out the headliner to check the wires there)..

i promise that i will also put up a small tutorial when i am done with mine... (but i still need help from your expertise) :)

17. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never seen the connector in the head liner, but I wonder rather than trying to splice the wires onto the existing wires, if you could unplug the connector, add the pins and wires to the connector, and then replug it. It might be easier
    to work with an unplugged connector from the rear hatch, than try and get at the backside of the other half of the connector. I've only got 8K on my prius, so I don't dare do too much until I get a few more miles on it. I bet
    the dealer could blame lots of "problems" on that unauthorized addition. One more thing, it looks like there is a knock out panel for the camera on the Prius 2. So looks like no drilling is needed.

18. wildiin

wildiin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Post #29 by Ray shows a pic of the connector in the headliner.

19. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ufff, 1/4 CMOS chip for $150. CMOS sucks, use the CCD instead (tested on humans). There is a huge difference in picture quality and night vision capability.

20. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A