1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back Up Camera Scratched

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by trickrazor, Feb 18, 2017.

1. trickrazor

trickrazor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello Prius Chat,

New Prius owner and the previous owners of my 2008 Prius scratched the heck out of their backup camera and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. If the lens weren't horrible scratched, the display end of things are working just fine. Any thoughts on where to begin? We've tried using the "de-fog" headlight cleaner to no avail. Here's a picture and thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an extra camera part, I'll sell it to you if you want it. Plug and play replacement

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy moley, that's pretty beat up. I think your only option is to replace it.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Clean well with rubbing alcohol, then apply a coating of superglue to the scratched, rough surface, try to get a smooth surface. Let dry, then use your buffing headlight restoration kit products to clear the super glue surface.

The image quality may not be great, but it will definitely improve it for sure.

5. trickrazor

trickrazor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for the tips and tricks. I loved the superglue tip and had it in my back pocket in case all else failed. If superglue didn't work, I definitely would have hit JC up for the spare part.

My boyfriend and I sanded the rough edges down and then used a cerium oxide / scratch removal kit like this (exactly this):

... and the image quality is so much better! It works like a charm and I'm pretty pleased!

xliderider likes this.
  6. trickrazor

trickrazor New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Glass Polishing Kit for all Types of Glass and Car Windshield Wiper Blade Scratches is the type. It won't let me post links just yet. :)

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad to hear it is working now. (y)