1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Back-up camera

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by dr_rock, Jan 4, 2014.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's wireless because you don't have to run wires between the camera and front monitor.

You still need to do some wiring at the back for the camera and the transceiver, and at the front for the wireless receiver and monitor.

SCH-I535

2. Lucky Lager

Lucky Lager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will that be possible with my lcd monitor in rearview mirror? Or should I do a wired one?

3. jackytabo90

jackytabo90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hey man, you looking for backup camera for your prius - I would recommend you tadi brothers.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is there a way to adjust the factory camera. for me the direction it points seems to be "off a bit" it really favors the drivers side.

5. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I guess my question is if the camera is wireless with a transmitter, what receives the signal in your Alpine head unit? I guess thats what I can't figure out.... I can see a package (camera and monitor) would work fine together, 2 pieces with transmitter/receiver guts.... But this camera can transmit to an Alpine? Thanks for any guidance...

6. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The wireless receiver hooks up to the head unit.

7. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, sounds good, so it would be feasible to tap a wire off an lcd rearview mirror and get the same result? Sorry to bother u again. Thanks for the help

8. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes it should work.

9. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I need one of you wiring experts to explain this to me like Im 5 years old lol.... Seriously need an expert out there, anybody smarter than me....that may be all of you... I have an LCD rearview mirror and want to hook up a back up cam to it, the camera comes with a wireless transmitter and this is actually what is tripping me up --(I do not need a wireless connection, I have no issue with running wires..FYI. but what would I need..a double male ended rca cord?

Can I just throw away the transmitters and use an RCA cord(Do I need RCA cord? Seem so they are the only lead off the camera) - whats the easiest way to run this thing? It just needs peer, ground, and reverse trigger...

Or can I just run the 3 wires, power, neg, and reverse?...

***only thing I can think is the one transmitter with GPS jack needs to be a transmitter with an RCA lead..... I think they messed my order up*****

Heres the set up (Mirror and harness did not come with the camera)

Pic 0 - shot of whole set up

[​IMG]

Pic 1 and 2 - I suppose this is the mirror end of the set up -Transmitter 1
    Do not know what this can hook up to -see the 2 leads-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic 3 and 4 - mirror with supplied harness

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic 5 camera end transmitter with wire leads

[​IMG]

10. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think what threw me off was they sent me the wrong wireless transmitter, they sent the one for hooking up to a monitor or GPS monitor..... if I get the right xmitter I will be fine....thanks - threw me for a loop.

11. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

By looking on your pics, yes the Seller indeed send you the wrong wireless kit.
    I do have a GPS rearview monitor on my Odyssey which uses 2.5mm plug for video input, same as your pic.

This is the one you'll need to make it work
    2 4G Wireless Transmitter Receiver for Car GPS Rearview Camera Video Monitor RF | eBay

OR Hookup direct, which has zero snowily video feedback vs wireless.
    15 ft RCA Composite V Video Cable Male to Male | eBay

12. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! Yeah I'm ditching the wireless crap - wanted the "made to fit" prius camera though. Thanks again

13. sangahm

sangahm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So if I wanted to add the wifi camera to my stock 2012 Prius that only has the radio screen, I would need to add these 2 items?

Wifi Camera
    Interface Kit

How good a connection is the wireless unit? Does it get interference? Any other cons to this approach?