1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera Activation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by keydiver, Jan 31, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was just scraping together the needed pieces to switch the purple wire... And just started to wonder: What does this do to the mileage computer? Any clue? I guess if it isn't used for very long, then it won't matter in the grand scheme of things... but does it reset the little 5 minute mileage bars each time you click off the speed wire?

2. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, I just installed the interrupt. I used two swtiches instead of one three-way swith. I didn't want to have the speed wire off every time the camera was on. Why? I have no idea. I first wired it with the on-off-on switch, then went to two on/off switches. We'll have to wait a week or so for the results. That's the next time I'll drive it. I did test everything in EV mode, and it most definitely allows the CD tracks to be searched while rolling. I have no idea if it will affect the mileage calculation.

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And here is a little page I put together for the speed wire interrupt. Yet another mod that I didn't know I needed until somebody else brought it up. :)

http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_speed_wire.htm

Man... can you believe this thread has been viewed almost 3700 times!?

4. tarafina

tarafina New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 6 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]250888[/snapback]</div>

Best Thread EVER!

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, folks. I found an excuse to drive the gas car today... fooled with my speed wire interrupt switch (which, by the way, I put BACK to a three-way switch again. ;) )

Here's the deal. It definitely fools the MFD into thinking you are not rolling which means the wheels on the energy screen don't roll, and you have access to all the bluetooth functions and audio functions. The only inconvenient part I can see from throwing the switch is that the bars on the consumption screen won't show in the 5 minute intervals. Everything else works. Average mileage, instantaneous mileage (both bar and digits). The only thing that doesn't show is the 5 minute bars. And to me this means that the speed wire is only a trigger that tells it not to count time when stopped. (in other words, if you just sit with the car running, those bars don't show up either).

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 8 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]251751[/snapback]</div>
    A couple of questions.

1) Has anyone yet done this with an '05? That would be handy for the bluetooth functions.

2) When you throw the switch back does the sensor resume where it left off? I mean, does the bars show up again?

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 8 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]251760[/snapback]</div>
    The model year 2005 hero position is still open, as far as I know.

When you throw the switch back, it thinks you just started from a stop, and the bars begin recording again in 5-minute intervals as before. My MDF must think my Prius is pretty damn quick. I can now do zero to 70mpg in literally NOTHING flat.

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 8 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]251760[/snapback]</div>
    Just show me a schematic! :D

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Heh, after looking at this thread, it looks like the BT override is the same thing as that, except getting to the wire from a different (and probably easier) direction. This is good to know, though. You do your connections from the top and then put the switch wherever you want to.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 13 2006, 08:03 AM) [snapback]254722[/snapback]</div>
    That was ODD looking at that old thread. I kept wanting to respond with, "hey! We've already done that!" And then I see the posts are from 2004. Oops. This has all already been covered! Crazy. Here I thought we were doinging something new, and I see dates of 2004. Sigh. The only new part I see is the "in through the speaker grille" technique. Anyway, yes, as I mention on my page for this mod, it adds BT and all functions as if you are stopped. http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_speed_wire.htm

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 13 2006, 08:26 AM) [snapback]254731[/snapback]</div>
    Actually this is good as you have great pictures and good instructions. Plus this was hidden for a couple of years so it's showing new owners what to do.

Hmmm, not that I need it, but maybe cutting the other wire will do the same NAV override as it does in the 2004-05.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 13 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]254734[/snapback]</div>
    Highly likely... though I can't test it here. No NAV.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so many people keep asking about the NAV and BT speed sensor overrides so they can access the full features while in motion on their '06 Prius since no Easter Egg/backdoor has yet been discovered. I've mentioned about 100 times just using the easily accessible wires behind the vent cover to the right of the MFD and kept promising a photo. Finally found it. I didn't take the photo, but I don't think the person who did would mind me reposting it.

One of you '06 people need to do a nice write up for the knowledge base articles section showing lots of photos and giving step by step instructions with a parts list and tips. I'd do it, but I already have a different solution and those wires are accessed as part of it. If there's someone in my area (SW Missouri) that wants to volunteer their vehicle I'll do it on theirs and take the pictures and write up the article.

But really, it gets no simpler than this for a mod. 2 wires to cut and splice DPST switches into--if you use a 3 way switch it could be even prettier. Drill a hole in the vent cover or run the wires to under the steering wheel (where the blanks are) and you're all set. No muss, no fuss, doable in an hour with minimal skill required.

Anyway, here's the photo you need:
    [​IMG]

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 13 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]255013[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Evan! I'm gonna swipe that and add it to my speed wire page.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 14 2006, 02:29 AM) [snapback]255096[/snapback]</div>

I also have a nice photo of the back of the MFD where your plug that is accessed through the center speaker hole too. Might be good to add to your info page so folks have an idea what they're reaching for back there.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2006, 12:37 AM) [snapback]255100[/snapback]</div>
    Evan -

If it is better than this one: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/images/prius/mf...ter_speaker.jpg that I took through the windshield, bring it on! Thanks.[​IMG]

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 14 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]255101[/snapback]</div>

It's a clearer photo, but it doesn't put things in perspective like your shot does. I'll send it tomorrow (if I remember, I'm at work and the photo's on my home pc) and you can use it or not.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 14 2006, 12:42 AM) [snapback]255102[/snapback]</div>
    OK... we'll touch bases tomorrow. As for tonight, I can barely keep my eyes open. You stay there and save some people... I'm going to bed!

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the one I have:
    [​IMG]

I notice that they're a bit different as far as the plug location. Mine should be from an '04 MY Prius.

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks to both of you for this. Now, looking at the picture efusco first sent, if you wanted just the BT override you cut and add a switch to the one marked "PIN 25 OF M13?"