1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera Fuzzy?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jreppert, Jul 14, 2017.

1. jreppert

jreppert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a new 2017 Prius 4. I love the new lines on the backup camera and it works great in the daylight. At night it is very fuzzy and totally unusable. I mentioned it to the salesperson, but of course it was daylight and he thought it was a "setting." So I made brightness and contrast adjustments in the settings, but it has not helped. I know this is not the way it's supposed to look because I had a 2006 Prius with the first built in backup camera and it was fine at night. Anyone else seen this problem? Thanks.

2. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You clean the lens?

#2 nategold, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You know what, I've noticed that it is fuzzy and a bit staticy on mine too. I'll clean the lens and see if that changes the quality. If not, I'll take it up with the dealer on my first maintenance visit.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the Gen 4's camera a bit fuzzier than my Gen 3 at night. Not sure if it's the screen or the camera.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I took a closer look at the camera. The outer glass has water spotting on it, which will affect quality to a degree. But the thing about cameras at night is that the more sensitive that they make the camera to light, the more noise it introduces. That's the fuzziness that we all see. Gonna have to really clean the outer glass and make more observations, but my gut feeling is that that will be a compromise we are gonna have to live with.

6. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota (or someone) needs to figure out how to clean away water drops off the lens from inside the cabin. Either an air nozzle or mini wiper, or ...?

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. smalltimeart

smalltimeart New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I recently installed a new head unit with a larger screen and definitely noticed the camera isn't the greatest. It's mainly because it's using composite video in a very noisy environment. Remember back in the day when you hooked up a VCR or a videogame console and you had the red yellow and white wires? It's basically that. Some of you may have hooked up non high def signals to high def tv's and noticed that it looks rather poopy. It's basically what's going on here. If i ever feel adventurous one day i might put in a new high def rear camera. There's zero reason for it but i'm a technician with too much time on my hands :p. Also, I totally agree the water droplets on the lens can be a bit annoying when you're trying to back up in the rain.

RCO likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or just move it. I found the position of the camera on my Gen 3 collects fewer water droplets than the centrally-mounted Gen 4.

RCO likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You bring something like that to market buddy and your onto a solid winner!

10. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just figured that's because there's not enough available light for it be crystal clear. But I'm very satisfied with how well it does work at night. It's nice and bright. I use it every day, backing into the driveway. Haven't had any problems with water spots.