1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera guide lines? (and other HU Q's)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by garypen, Sep 9, 2018.

1. garypen

garypen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

New owner of a used 2010 IV w/Navi & Backup camera. I have a few questions:

-The backup camera seems to work okay, image-wise. But, there are no guide lines to help guide me into parking spaces, or safe distance before hitting an object. Is that normal on this car? I've never seen a backup camera system without guide lines, usually green and red.
    -How can I check my current software and map versions? I'd like to make sure I'm up-to-date.
    (I won't be relying on the in-car nav for primary nav use. I have Gmaps for that. But, it's good to have a current backup in the car, just in case of phone failure or loss.)
    -If the HU needs a SW/FW update, is it free? (Not map, just SW) Or, will there be a charge because it's well out of warranty?
    -Can somebody lead me to a online source for the map update? I'm not going to give Toyota $200 for something that is free in most standalone GPS/Nav systems nowadays. (Car companies need to get over that old-school charge ridiculous prices for parts, or even consider map upgrades to be a part or service item.)

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, as I'm totally new to Prius/Hybrid ownership. And, this car is pretty different from anything I've owned in the past. (And, I've owned quite a few vehicles.) I'll try to post in the aappropriate sub-forums.

Thanks!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!

Yes it’s normal for cars of that era to have no guidelines. It isn’t a fisheye lens so keep that in mind. You can use the two pink lines that are lined up with the bumper as a guide for curbs too.

Off the top of my head, I think the dvd map version is under INFO•Phone —> Map version.

The number corresponds to the year so 8.1 would be 2008 maps. 12.1 would be 2012 etc

No software updates as for as I know. At least I haven’t updated mine.

ITBland likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I was driving our son's CX-5 yesterday, really appreciated the guide lines, and the clear/realistic display of it's back up camera. Our 2010 Canadian Touring has the back up image in the the left corner of the rear view mirror. Good idea, but it's funhouse wide-angle, really hard to judge distances, and of course no guidelines.

Backing the CX-5 in a tight spot the camera and guidelines were very handy.

upload_2018-9-9_10-53-12.png
    (The column is the second one; there's one before it: it's a double depth parking spot. Parked cars beside in both spots, on the right. Today's parking spots are maddeningly tight.)

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    garypen likes this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to PC!(y)

If you don't have a full set of manuals, go to the Toyota Owner Site
    there you can download manuals, check recalls, and see any service performed at a dealer, very useful!
    No guide lines:(:(.
    Push the INFO-PHONE button, then press Map Data.
    All updates are dealer only (software updates (if any) and maps are on the same DVD), 2017 is latest: v17.1 disc U99

garypen likes this.
  5. garypen

garypen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2014 Mazda Axela (Mazda3) in Japan. And, the difference between backup camera quality with my "new" 2010 Prius is night and day. I find the Prius' image to be useless, other than preventing running over a child on a tricycle or something. The Mazda's image allows me to back into a parking space without turning my head. (Backing in is the standard in Japan. Luckily, I'm using the Prius in the US where front-in parking is the norm. But, still, guidelines would be nice.)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. garypen

garypen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! Already been there and did that.
    I guess I'll check Ebay. I've found similar knockoffs for VW navi before.