1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera on JuicedHybrid

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Nujadul, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Nujadul

Nujadul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PriusChat,

Has anyone bought and installed this backup camera yet? I like that it comes as a kit however I don't know if it's any good.

Toyota Prius C Factory Integrated License Plate OEM Backup Camera System: Juicedhybrid.com

Features
    • Compatible with or without navigation
    • Full camera and head unit integration
    • Plug and play wired installation
    • High quality camera lens to deliver clear, crisp, and vibrate display
    • Waterproof
    • Grid line distance markers
    • Built-in infrared for night vision
    As a complete kit, this backup camera system will come with everything you need for a successful install:
    • Black license plate camera
    • Toyota OEM radio plug-in adapter module
    • Installation guide (professional installation recommended)
    • RCA cables and harnesses
    Confidence: It's the greatest thing about having a rear backup camera. When you put your Prius into reverse, the OEM head unit display will automatically switch the reverse camera on, giving you 170 degree crisp and clear wide angle view of exactly what's behind you. The best part is, you don't have to even look back! Although, you still should anyway.
    The Toyota Module fully integrates with the front display of your Prius C. After everything is installed and plugged in, there is no programming needed: just put the Prius C in reverse and see the magic come to life. What's more, it will even have grid lines—great for parallel parking into tight parking spots.

2. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    GG, $270

for that kind of money you might as well do a dealer factory oem camera install for the full $600+

Let's see most backup-cameras nowadays are

Features
    • Compatible with or without navigation -check
    • Full camera and head unit integration -check
    • Plug and play wired installation -check
    • High quality camera lens to deliver clear, crisp, and vibrate display -check (unless you-re viewing it on some huge in car screen, then there is very little you'll notice between various backup cameras)
    • Waterproof -check
    • Grid line distance markers -check
    • Built-in infrared for night vision -check

for $270 I'd be glad to install a nice oem-like backup camera to your C4's nav screen, or license plate camera with all materials included in that $270.

It's way too overpriced

3. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    with that price and $30 more I can buy both the backup camera and the Homelink mirror :)

4. Carlos Santana

Carlos Santana New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Can you post the link to the homelink mirror. I'm thinking about getting two, one for my prius C 1 and one for my wife's Camry.

Gracias

5. ROLOPR

ROLOPR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here it is:

This one is for Prius C, I don't know for camry.

De nada bro.

6. Oatflake

Oatflake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm actually not too handy and am looking to find a place that will install a backup camera - is there a place in the Los Angeles area that can do an install? The only cameras I've seen are the one sold by juicedhybrid which has the silver license plate frame to mount the camera, and this one made by EchoMaster on amazon.com which only seems to support the 2012-2013 Prius C head units.

7. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If you provide the whole backup camera kit (which is pretty much idiot-proof), I'm sure any autoshop should be able to install, or any friend you have that is a electronics junky or grease monkey.

Just be aware that if the camera is 12v (which most cameras are nowadays)...you will probably have to draw power from a 12v acc source instead of the 6.5v from the headunit (or get a stepup converter). So ask those dealers if their camera is 6v compatible or not, before you buy. I bought a camera kit 7 months ago that had instructions to draw power from a 12v acc source, but luckily enough the camera is 6v.

8. Aurora

Aurora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I got a quote from an automotive accessory shop to install a backup camera on my c3 for $360 (parts and labor). I'm weary of doing an install on my own, but the part on Amazon is only $120. What do you guys think? Is this a fair price?

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most shops charge $100/hour for labor these days. They may not shop on Amazon (or they may and have markups.) This isn't unreasonable. It's not great either.

10. Aurora

Aurora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    He said I'd have my car in the shop for 2-3 hours. The quote was actually for $399, but I have a 10% off coupon. No tax because I'm in Oregon.

11. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    wow, they are really trying to milk you, but I guess compared to the dealer installed option of $600+, it's a bargain.

but really, you have a c3 (with all wirings there already), it's just get the kit and run the wires from back of car to front, shouldn't really take more than 30min (for a shop to do)

12. Oatflake

Oatflake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I called around to 3 shops asking for pricing to install a backup camera before finally doing it myself. Two were general window tinting/car audio independent shops and one wanted $300, another wanted $350. Another was a shop that was recommended by the local Toyota dealer; he wanted $500. None of the local toyota dealers would even offer to do the install; they all said what they would do is refer me to one of their installers instead.

In the end I bought the kit from camera-source for $150 and with about $50 of tools I didn't have before, I finished the install myself in my garage in about 5 hours, and that was with lots of running back and forth to my computer to re-examine the posts everyone else wrote just to re-assure myself I was doing things correctly.

A few notes - only one of the installers (the cheapest one), when I quizzed him about whether or not he was going to get a camera that was 6.5V vs 12V, actually knew there was a difference (that was the one the Toyota dealer recommended). The others said they were going to hook up a 12V external power from some other place. The cheapest one admitted he was going to just cut my carpet and sew it back together since he was not going to be removing any of the plastic panels to get the wire to the back. I imagine some of them might cut corners you can't see. That's the main reason I wanted to do it myself. Aside from the hole I drilled to actually mount the camera, the installation is completely removable.

13. Aurora

Aurora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is really helpful. Thank you!

The accessory installer recommended by the dealership (because they won't install after market accessories) is telling me they have a "special" to install for $399, which includes a 36k/3 year warranty. The other shop that I can have the work done for $360 is highly rated on Angie's list (with several dozen reviews). I also found a guy with two years of experience installing aftermarket accessories on craigslist who said he will install for $100. He knows about the panel removal, making sure not to damage the clips, etc. With this option, it would be about $220 after I buy the part.

I'm wary of doing it myself. I have experience installing an after market stereo in my old Corolla, but I really don't want to muck with my brand new c. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $140 to guarantee workmanship and the part?

14. Oatflake

Oatflake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure how much the 36k/3 year warranty is worth - I think the better option is to buy one of the camera-source or backup-camera options with the 6.5V camera and harness adapter so the installer doesn't have to find a 12V power source for the camera, and won't have any excuse to cut any of your existing wires. Then make sure you give him all of the information you can about how to do the install (if he hasn't already done a Prius C) and see how receptive he is to doing it the way you want. My ideal installer is one who would let me buy the camera and hang out with him while he does the install; I might learn a few tricks along the way and if he has to make any hard decision like cut anything I could be on hand to say "yeah, go ahead and do it", and if I disagree I can offer to pay extra for whatever time this is going to cost him.

15. Aurora

Aurora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I got my backup camera installed yesterday by the guy who used to install car accessories. Everything went pretty smoothly and the camera is working. The only thing is that the camera is angled a little low after the install. Instead of showing a radius behind the car, it's showing more of the ground. Has anyone had this problem? The guy is coming back today to re-do the double-stick and build up the back of the camera a little so it's angle is in a better position. I just wondered if anyone else has run into this?