1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera on Prius III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sparkie48, Aug 7, 2011.

1. sparkie48

sparkie48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any recommendations on getting a backup camera installed on a III? I would like it to have it look and act like the factory installed unit on the IV or V. Is this possible? If so, what do I tell my local dealer who is scratching his head?

2. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We test drove a 2 with the rear view mirror camera. It appears to have been installed post-factory. I should think any competent dealer would be familiar with it and be able to retrofit.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rear-view mirror that Gary mentioned is probably the cheapest route. Or you can look for someone selling their OEM Nav HU that has camera input or buy an aftermarket HU with capabilities. Then have a shop install it... forget about the dealer.

4. sparkie48

sparkie48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went to a car accessory shop by the name of Car Toys in Seattle. They showed me three options for my Prius III ranging from a BU camera that displayed in the rear view mirror ($624) to a replacement audio package that had large screen with iPhone interface as well by Pioneer ($1200 installed) to fill NAV package with GPS unit and audio (I never go to the price on that one). I chose the simple BU camera installation b/c I didn't want so much switching out from the factory equipment. Final impression: they really know what they are doing but aren't the cheapest. But peace of mind does come at some cost and in this case is worth it.

5. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aftermarket backup cameras have come a long way in the last 5 years and I don't foresee any trouble finding a good mirror-based solution for my upcoming Three.

6. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine was installed by an electronics dealer who also does car stereos. I paid under 350.00 last year and really appriciate it. You can see the install on my album.
    Good Luck