1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup camera?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by geforce2187, Jan 29, 2012.

1. geforce2187

geforce2187 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will a backup camera be available in the US?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know but I still can't help but laugh at the idea of a backup camera on such a little car. I'm sure people have their reasons. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Cognato

Cognato Junior Member

I believe that it will be mandated that all cars have some sort of backup camera. I think the timetable calls for 10 percent of new vehicles to have the cameras by September 2012. The percentage is supposed to rise 40 percent by September 2013 and reach 100 percent by September 2014.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not against it although I resent the price increase for something I don't want. If it means less children being run over then it's for the better.

5. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    While I have never even come close to running over a kid, I found the backup camera makes it a lot easier to park in tight spaces. Just to demonstrate to a friend, I was able to park close enough to another car that you couldn't pass your hand between the bumpers without any real experience behind the wheel-- it was the day after I took delivery.

I think there are some good advantages beyond 'it's for the children' (which is a card far too often played).

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cameras have a narrower range of view than looking over the shoulder and out the side window, and the lazy will likely resort to just the camera.
    I think the rear sonar is better for a fleet wide solution to backing over things. Cheaper over all since it doesn't need a monitor, and the driver doesn't have to choose between looking back or at the screen.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nonsense and rubbish. The backup camera on my 2006 Prius has a nearly 180° field of view at the rear end of the car. This is vastly better than what I can see from the driver's seat. With the camera I can see the top of the bumper and the ground beneath, and both ways to the side. Oncoming pedestrians and vehicles are visible before I back out of a parking spot, where with just eyeballs I would need to back out most of the way before they became visible. The camera is a significant advantage.

Obviously one needs to turn around and look, and look out both sides. All of the inputs are important.

Saying that we shouldn't have backup cameras because people will get lazy is the same as saying we shouldn't have mirrors and rear windows. With mirrors and rear windows people don't bother to get out and check what's behind the car.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I didn't realize the rear cameras had fish eye lenses. Does it have the distortion (not really a problem for the use) of those lenses.

The people are lazy was not a reason not have rear cameras. It's a reason not legislate the cameras when other options, i.e. sonar, are available. I realize cars are moving towards a more interactive dash with a screen even without a nav option. But it isn't necessity, and installing one for a mandatory rear camera will just increase the price of entry level cars. Plus, a cheap, low resolution screen might end up being as bad as no camera.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    page loading issues made it look like the first post was lost.

10. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    for a car this small, i dont think a back-up camera is needed? its over-kill

11. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm with Tom here: a back up camera is an invaluable tool in backing. It's not a replacement for other safety steps any more than an airbag being a replacement for a seatbelt.

Know what a back up camera doesn't have: blind spots. Is the field disported? Sure-- but so is the right hand mirror (US cars).

As for cheap grainy screens--- I'm pretty sure that the requirements for back up cameras include specifications for the camera and display.

1 person likes this.
  12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disappointed to see so many people dragging down the most important utility-oriented advancement in a sub 25k car driven in any city.

CHOOSE between looking back or at the camera? Are you kidding?

The only reason to look anywhere but the front now is to see if any kids are at the 7-9 and 3-5 (clock) degree angle.

They need to improve the solution not get rid of it. I would rather lose cruise control than the backup camera.

1 person likes this.
  14. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This morning I backed out of my garage. I left before the sun came up.

In my rear view mirror I could barely see any of the driveway. In my back up camera I could clearly see the entire driveway from garage to the mailbox, the newspaper on the ground ~10 feet behind my car (which wasn't visible to me when I turned around to look directly without using a mirror). I could also see that my garden hose had fallen off the coil and the head was lying on the ground within 2 feet of the back of my car.

I can't speak for all back up cams but the one the Prius has clearly has advantages over just using mirrors.

(I decided that running over the hose and the newspaper was a low risk event so I ran them over. Had they been a dog or one of the neighbor's toddlers I may have assessed differently.)

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I find it's most useful when backing out from diagonal parking when the vehicle next to you is too tall to see over (truck/suv). With its nearly 180 degree view, the cam can see around their bumper well before the driver could. So there's no need to stick your bumper out in harms way.

Another is at night if you have heavily tinted windows.

And seeing obstacles below the window line (kids bicycleS, skateboards, etc).

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen people back into things even with rear parking sensors. I'm not sure what the vertical range of these sensors are but the object in question was a metal tube fence (you know the type with two horizontal bars with vertical poles and are curved at the ends). The height of the rear bumper of the Sienna was in between the two horizontal poles and the parking spot did not have the vertical support structure so the person backed right into the fence.

I agree. I laughed at the options list for a MINI that listed backup sensors as one of the options. If you need backup sensors in a MINI....

but then again a camera is a different system all together.. It saved me from running over a woman who decided it was in her best interest to tie her shoes in between two parked cars such that I couldn't see her through the rear window or the right side mirror. The camera was the only way I found out I was there, else I would've ran her over. :rolleyes:

17. roshr

roshr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I, for one, live in a large city where I parallel park every day, sometimes into quite cramped spots since our spots don't have line/space markings! Doesn't matter how small the car is. The use of the camera definitely keeps me from getting/in out of the car to check tight distance or bumping into anyone when squeezing into a tight spot.

18. DavieDanie630

DavieDanie630 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    See this is what I need in my future Prius, I haven't run anyone over mind you, but there's always that lingering fear that I missed something/someone when I'm backing up. A backup camera would be reassuring and useful - I would shoulder check and rear-view check even with a camera. Better safe then sorry!

19. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can the backup camera be adjusted? On my v, objects are actually much closer than they appear through the camera?

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's a wide angle lens - that's how it's supposed to work, just like the passenger side mirror.

Tom