1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bettergolf, Jan 8, 2019.

1. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,
    New member here (just joined today) but have been lurking for almost two years since I bought my first Prius.
    I have a question about the backup camera....how long after putting the car in reverse does it take yours to come on (show a view)?
    Mine seems to take several seconds to show me anything and usually by the time it does I'm already moving and so I honestly don't really use it much unless I'm in a tight spot and need to see if I'm about to hit anything.
    Also, mine has no lines in the screen to guide me...does Prius not have that or is it just mine?

A factor could be that mine is a rebuilt title and I know a lot (most) here wouldn't touch a car that's been totaled, but I've had several over the years and have found for the most part they are good cars if they were repaired by a real body shop and not by some backyad jackleg. I've found it to be a way to get a nice car at just over half the price. I bought my 2015 Prius 2 in mid 2017 with 24k miles on it for $9000 and have put 18k on it only having done oil changes (and finally tires since it had the factory tires). So not a problem with it at all,
    All that being said, there may have been something done/changed during the repair that causes the backup camera delay and no lines, so I'm just curious if this is the standard or if mine is different.
    Anyone?

2. ilovegirls

ilovegirls Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just checked and it's about 2 seconds.

Bay Stater likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have had to train myself to wait until it comes on. otherwise, i'm concerned about hitting someone, it is very slow.
    prius do not have back up guide lines

Bay Stater likes this.
  4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Guys, sorry for the delay, I was away for several days on business.

So based on the 2 answers, I guess I'm within the "normal" parameters as mine takes about 6 seconds to show me anything.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, very frustrating. my wife's hycam is the same. drove a nissan, camera came on as soon as the shifter hit reverse

Bay Stater likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours is in the rear-view mirror, left corner. Comes on more-or-less instantly. Very small image though, and so wide angle, that I rarely pay it any mind, can't judge distances. And yeah, no guide lines.

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no idea why there's a delay. The computers can't be that slow or the car would be undriveable. They must have a timer, but that's crazy. It's one of my main peeves with the car. But then again, it's the first one I ever had with a backup camera, so I can't whine too much.

#7 jerrymildred, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Bay Stater likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe something to do with that display? Again, ours, in the mirror, is more-or-less instant, I've never noticed a lag. It's also pretty much useless, but that's another story, lol.

Bay Stater likes this.