1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup camera

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Jul 19, 2020.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am sure the answer to this is somewhere here but can't see it. If I'm able to find a factory backup camera, can I just plug that into the opening in the rear hatch? Would a Gen 2 recognize and display this when in reverse? I was reading about a reverse circuit that needs to be in the loop but I'm not sure whether new wiring would be needed.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It says you have a 2013 Prius, which is Gen3? What does Gen2 back up camera have to do with it? Or are you talking about a Gen2 Prius that you want to put a Gen2 camera in? We can't help you unless you take some time to provide way more details.

3. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was posting in Gen 2 forum and it is Gen 2. The confusion comes in that I had worked on a Gen 3 before so that may be a profile thing? Anyway, the car is Gen 2. I will be looking for a camera in a junkyard most likely so wondering what cameras might work with Toyotas in general.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, there's different versions of Gen2, Why not be specific about which year Gen2? You're still not offering details/confusing...

But in general, the high definition display screens that made the back up camera possible were introduced as standard equipment in 2006. So anything made before that (2004 & 2005) will not have the wiring or the programming for a back up camera. And I'm not sure any 2006-2009 were produced without backup cameras, but if some were, maybe you'll get lucky? But most likely you're going to have way less hassle installing an aftermarket camera.

5. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This one is 2007. It does have a small plastic square where a camera would fit and there's a plug I just saw tonight behind the square. The black plastic square that's in the hole now seems to be a plug taking the place of the camera. My question now is whether some programming will be needed or whether it will just be plug and play.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the programming for an 'all ev' mode switch was never removed from US versions of Gen2, despite the switch being removed. So I bought a kit that changed some wires and re-enabled that function. So maybe the same will work for you? I'm eager to learn how it goes. Usually the wiring harness parts of it is there... And maybe a mini-VCI with Toyota Techstream could help?

#6 PriusCamper, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is a profile thing. It shows you have:
    Vehicle: 2013 Prius
    Model: Five

It may be a good time to update your profile.

8. Aqbox

Aqbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Did you manage to fit the camera