1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backup Monitor Input

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tigerpilot, Mar 11, 2016.

1. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    2015 Prius 2, No Nav, No DVD.......
    I'd Iike to add an additional camera and be able to switch inputs to the monitor.
    Has anyone had experience doing that?
    Thanks, Don
    Naples FL

2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed an OEM backup camera to my 2014 Prius 2. It required routing some wires and then it just plugged into the head unit which already has a 6.1" touch screen.

I used this video as a guide:

3. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Did you buy the camera and tee harness from them or just powered a different 12 volt camera and then switched video inputs between the original camera and the added camera?
    Thanks, Don

4. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased the Toyota camera on Amazon. If you search "toyota backup camera" it pops right up.
    That includes all the wiring and fittings that you need.

merged.

Maybe I am misunderstand your question.

You already have a camera, and you want to add an additional camera? That's not the question I'm answering.

#4 Dylan Doxey, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  5. Kaze

Kaze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seems interesting, where are you planning to put the extra camera?
    I suppose you'll want to be able to access the camera even when not in reverse?

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  6. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a front camera in my '09 but it was easy because I have a Pioneer radio and used it's backup camera function to view the front camera. Just needed a switch to provide the 12 volts and mounted the camera in the grill. Works perfect and no more running over those concrete parking barriers.
    The 2015 has a backup camera and I wanted to switch inputs from the installed backup camera to the new front camera. I thought it would just need a 12 volt switch and then deal with choosing the video input. Only one camera would be used at a time so there shouldn't be any issues but.....can't seem to find anyone who has done this before. Otherwise I'm going to try a WiFi front camera and use a free app to view the camera on the iPhone. That camera could be powered continuously. If that fails, try to find a spot for a second very small video monitor but I have to find a place to mount it.
    I thought about a mirror camera but I have Homelink and don't want to lose it.
    If anyone has any ideas, I'll appreciate hearing them.
    Regards, Don

7. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have an aftermarket tuner, it's easy to add a camera to the front of the car. I did it with my Corolla Verso and I'm planning to do the same with my Prius also. There are number of cameras in eBay, I used the one that fits directly to the center of the logo in the front of the car (see attachment). In addition to that you'll also need this:
    Intelligent Control Two Channel Car Camera Video Switch Connect Front or Rear | eBay

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Dylan Doxey likes this.