Backup safety features and bike rack

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by gadfly76, Oct 1, 2018.

1. gadfly76

gadfly76 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Folks,

Brand new member here. I'm writing with a question about my 2018 Prius Two. I recently had a hitch receiver installed and have been using a hitch mounted bike rack. I quickly discovered two problems.

1. With just the rack installed and no bike, the back up sensors detect the rack as an obstruction behind the vehicle and emits a warning tone. This is annoying, but I can live with it.

2. Worse, when I actually have a bike loaded up, the car's safety features will actually slam on the brakes while I'm trying to back up. Tried parallel parking yesterday with a bike on the back and it was not fun!

Is there a way to turn off either or both of these safety features while using a bike rack?

Thank you!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    upload_2018-10-1_22-39-54.png

Scroll down until you see the ICS settings

upload_2018-10-1_22-40-37.png

frodoz737, gadfly76 and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. gadfly76

gadfly76 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you!!

4. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Hang on, hang on... the PCS (Pre-Collison System in US, Pre-Crash System in UK) is the visual (camera at centre top of front glass) and radar (behind the Toyota badge) based forward looking system, that detects pedestrians and vehicles while you're travelling above 10MPH. Surely you want to keep that on? Attaching stuff to the rear of the car should be affecting that.

It's only the ICS (Intelligent Clearance Sonar) that is used when moving slowly and backwards... that's the ultrasonics around the car, which is likely to be interfered with by the attachments on the back.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 'Orrible Oracle

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see these bike racks, sometimes projecting back close to 3 feet: should there be a red flag or reflector on the back of these? Also, kind flys in the face, of the concept of "bumpers". But that went the way of the dodo in the early eighties.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    That’s correct. The OP wants ICS off (the one I circled in the second image). Don’t turn off PCS.

I’m not sure what the limit is until a red flag is required.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Depends on where you are of course as I imagine these regs vary country to country, but in the UK, anything less than two metres projecting, the end should simply be "Clearly Visible", and less than one metre has no specific requirement at all. What you define as "clearly visible" is up for debate of course. Bike racks that are longer than one metre, are likely to have number plate, lights and indicator board at the rear anyway, as they'd be illegal here otherwise due to obscuring them on the vehicle.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409165/Information_Sheet_Overhanging_loads.pdf

Mendel Leisk likes this.