1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Backyard Food Production Complex

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by CarolinaJim, Jan 16, 2009.

1. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think I am going to go with a thermo siphon heater. I is simple to build. I looked at one a guy made using an old refrigerator radiator.

I can probably make a pretty nice one using some old copper tubing, some old hose, a hot box, some foam insulation, some tin foil, some black paint and some odd pieces of hardware.

Another air heater I saw was simply painting tin foil black and taping it to the window frame. A single piece of the foil across a south facing window is supposed to generate a good amount of heat.

2. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I started with about a pint of worms that I received from the University (which, by the way, was also where I took the worm composting 'class' and learned how to set up that plastic bin.

The greenhouse I'd been looking at was this 8x12' one offered by CostCo
    Costco - EasyGrow 8' x 12' Greenhouse

3. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the links. Wow, what a find, those detailed instructions with pics.

I considered HF, but the one in the top link is too big (10x12). I would need to get a permit and build a foundation and all kinds of stupid things required here in Davis. And the next size down is too small (6x8) for what I'd like to do. If I didn't have the permit requirement, I would go with the 10x12, though... it's a nice size.

5. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used this link and bought 2 lbs of worms from New Hampshire because it was a one day delivery. Check out a place near you.

Vermicomposter052608a.jpg

Vermicomposter052608b.jpg

6. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius