1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad case of mood swing & unplanned spending

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Speedracer, Sep 15, 2004.

1. smtrader

smtrader Member

Very cool lights!! Don't feel bad...they look good and quite funtional!

2. Joel

Joel New Member

These look so good, they should be standard. I'd install them for that price too!

3. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I don't understand "Japan Only" accessories? Like the EV switch.... All we have to do is call a Toyota dealer in Japan and order them right?

I think I'll order a set for me. However, I think I'll install mine my self. It can't be that hard.

4. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor\";p=\"45142)</div>
    I quit not sure how hard to install them, I think you need remove the mirror and run wire... I did not do that so I dont have any crue

5. Batavier

Batavier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"40090)</div>
    Except me of course ;-) I'm with you Kathryn. If you get in the habit of always using them even if it is 3 AM and there isn't another vehicle in sight, it is automatic when you do need them.
    [/b][/quote]
    Same here. I use them before I turn my wheel. Often people pass you and when they go in front of you they blink their blinker once... I wonder why? To signal they are done overtaking? Odd.

Or people who do use them on time often use them very shortly.

But I'd love to have those mirrors! Okay, $380 isn't cheap, but I think they're worth it. :)

6. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Batavier\";p=\"45146)</div>
    You can't think of it as 380$. See I plan to keep my car for aprox 3 years. And if I buy these right away... Well the mirrors would work out to cost around 10$ a month over the life time of owning my car.

And thats about 35, 36 cents a day! See. Thats Cheap! :p

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was working on a source in Japan a few months ago but could never get anything in concrete over it.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All, I have a quote for these, with shipping, to get them to the USA.

BUT! There is a problem!

The convex mirror is probably on the wrong side!

So, Speedracer, can you confirm for us: Does the left hand mirror say "Objects in the rear view mirror are closer than they appear" or some such thing? How about the right hand mirror?

NOW: the burning question: Toyota mirrors are typically attached (the glass pane, that is) with a clip on system. Do you still have the old mirrors? Are the glass panes the same shape and size? We in the USA would have to reuse the glass panes from our current mirrors, so they need to be popped out from the current mirrors and popped into the new ones. The clips would have to align as well for this to work. You don't have to remove the mirror panes to inspect this, though. You can just adjust the mirror all the way out, then peek behind it with a flashlight to see the clip system. Are they the same?

The next burning question: This can only confirm that the original japanese mirrors match the signal mirrors. They can't confirm that the USA mirrors match the Japanese signal mirrors... one of us will have to be the guinea pig, unless we can get signal mirrors from a country with right hand drive...

Nate

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool.. Nate, thanks or the info.. wanna be the guinea pig? I would.. but i'm very broke. I haven't even purchased my heat shield for the windshield yet. A little behind on funds.. o well.

10. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"45291)</div>
    "Objects in the rear view mirror are closer than they appear" is only in U.S...
    I didn't know the mirror is convex, Toyota craim left and right mirror housing design is different but I can't figure it out what...
    It seems like mirror design is same as original mirror

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, some countries such as the UK mandate that both mirrors are convex. Does Japan have such a rule? If so, maybe that would make things easier.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <drool>Thanks for your efforts, Nate!</drool>

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree with Speedracer, the mirrors in my car are the same on each side.

14. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think ours must be a lot like the Jap ones, as we also have the EV switch as standard, and can also get the mirrors.. I think... I kinda remember seeing them as an option at the dealership.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Danny, (and all) did I mention the ultimate cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake? My quote includes the "auto tilt when in reverse" kit. Tilt down in reverse, tilt back up when in drive. AWESOME for finding a curb or backing into a parking space or the garage. Honestly, it may only be the passenger side, but that's good enough for me. (A curly stem on a cherry on top of the icing on the cake would be electrochromatic side mirrors! <drool!> <while: signalmirrors=false execute drool> )

I'm tempted to become the guinea pig for this, but I would want to unload them if I couldn't change out the glass.

Any interest on this forum for a pair of used, seaside Blue signal mirrors with convex glass on both sides? Condition would be like new. ;-)

Well, maybe convex on both sides is okay; I just don't want FLAT on the passenger side.

Speedracer, a convex mirror is one in which the objects are closer than they appear. If BOTH mirrors are the SAME, then they are both convex. This would be acceptable in the US, but if in your right hand mirror objects appear bigger than in the left hand mirror, then the right side is flat, and would offer reduced visibility for left hand drive.

Thanks for the tip about mirror design. You may wish to keep the glass pieces from the old ones in case the new ones ever break. (Or maybe sell old mirrors to a body shop and buy new glass if you ever need to).

I'm getting up the courage for this mod. It's time I'm running out of, not money. My projects list is scary long, and baby will be here in December.

Nate

16. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto Reverse passenger side mirror would be awesome. I find it a little strange when i have to park the prius near a curb. ( i never do it ) Our Cadillac Deville has these. It's a huge help.

I know what you mean by a project list. But i have no funds.. lol.. i guess it will take me longer to get all the things i want.. lol

17. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually find it a worry when i come across people that can't just park their car. If you don't just know the dimensions of your car, you shouldn't be driving it.

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the prius is a lot smaller than my Lincoln.. and it sits higher than my bmw.. so i'm not used to trying to be inches away from a curb. I can park in any other spot perfectly fine.. or park in my driveway only and inch away from the bushes.. but on curbs... it's annoying.. i usualy park with the back out a little. :)

19. Quickster

Quickster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"45393)</div>
    So Nate, did you ever get anyone to belly up to the bar? So to speak. If not, I am willing to take the gamble and order a set. That is, if it is still possible. My 2005 Pure White should be here in a couple of weeks and this would be the ceme de la creme.

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Alright, Quickster. I'll email you all the contact info and part numbers. (I'm not holding out on you, I just want to be sure I have everything right before I forward).

Nate