1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad exepriance with Toyota Dealer - they installed cheap remote starter instead the OEM one

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by dimoman, Jun 18, 2010.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ever notice how the people who don't see the need for remote start all live in moderate climates? I've never heard someone from Arizona or Texas laugh at the idea of running the air conditioning before getting into the car. And the folks up in the frozen tundra want to get a head start on defrosting the windshield, even if they don't mind ice on the driver's seat.

The reason for remote start is make the interior more comfortable and usable when you first enter the car. I agree that warming up the engine is an obsolete practice, particularly with a hybrid that is designed for frequent start/stop cycles.

2. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Here, here on that. Saved a lot of ice scraping. Not to mention wear and tear on the windshield and increased safety with the clearer glass.

To get back to the OP:

I was surprised to find out there was an after market product even available for the 2010. Let alone one that seemingly works properly and doesn't interfere with the factory electronics. Keep us informed and them more accountable. That dealer deserves the used-car-salesmanship giant rusty screw trophy. Good luck in your pursuit of the right answers.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the update. I did some reading and found there is a working solution. Here it is.

CANMAX400 Multi Function Programmable Vehicle Interface

I bet your Avital 4113L is connected to one of those.

Can you explain how the door works? Right now if I walk up to my Prius the car detects the keyfob in my pocket and when I touch the door handle the car unlocks and you can get in and start the car.

Does this funtion still work or do you have to press a button on the remote to unlock the car?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Disagree. Livingin places where it goes from -40c to 40c, remote start isn't needed. Engine block heaters for the north, and crack the windows in the south.

5. ba294

ba294 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Point of remote starting a car is too either cool (summer) or heat up the car (winter) before you enter it.

6. dimoman

dimoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Everything works absolutely the same way... with kefob, when i touch the door and it unlocks, however the moment i open it, the car stops, reading about the avatal remote control, I'm sure that they connected the break pedal connection to the door. Probably Toyota Security Issue. So it works absolutely the same way as the OEM one...

Other than that i live in Chicago and remote starter is the best add-on you can install in your car. I had one in my T Celica, and is so good using it these cold winter mornings...

7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happened when you went back to the dealer? I would hate having 2 remotes for the Prius.

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you need both remotes or does the new one replace the other?

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're a tougher man than I...

We really don't need air conditioning, electric windows, SKS, radios, and a whole lot of other things on the Prius. But I'll take them.

I remember back (well, way back) there was a controversy about whether police should have vehicles with air conditioning. It was quite expensive, and considered a luxury item. What type of mood do you want that cop to be in when he pulls you over?? They got their air conditioning before I did.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh I use my airconditioning, and my heater. But the engine block heater keeps it warm so when you need heat, it is right there. When you leave the windows cracked, drive for 2 minutes with them down while the AC blows hot and then it cools down and it works.

Like I said the remote start on my other car is never used for warmup or cooldown, just maintaining when I walk away. That and the cool factor when it starts up and scares passers by with nobody behind the wheel. With the Prius, todays public would probably run in fear with another runaway toyota that starts itself.

1 person likes this.
  11. dimoman

dimoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You need both, the second one is a really small one... Not big deal...

12. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you remote start the car does the car turn off when you open the door or press the brake pedal?

13. dimoman

dimoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Works the same as the OEM one, when you open the door.

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks again. I called ExpressKit and they told me the same thing. I was hoping you had something different. Thanks again for the responses.

15. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    when it's -30c you need to make sure the engine block is warm before you stress it, or it will crack. And when it's -30c and you have ice on your windows, just scraping it off won't do you much good as it will ice over again if the glass is too cold, so you need to defrost the windows a bit before you can drive.

yes, letting the car warm up nice and toasty is a 'waste of gas', but it's a price you have to pay when you live in places that consistently stay -20 to -30c for 2 months of the year. We're rolling into a month of that now, this morning it was -15c out when I was getting ready for work.

16. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Except engine block heaters need to be plugged in. If you don't have a garage, that can be fairy problematic (melting snow in a plug is bad news, not to mention having to have a cord possibly routed through a window or door to get power outside).

Granted, "remote start" still isn't needed as you can physically go out and start the vehicle.. but the "point" is convenience and not having to bundle up to start a car, then go back in and unbundle for 5 minutes while the car warms up.

17. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to have revived this thread, but I have a remote starter question and found this one (but I'll start my own).

In the future, I'll try to remember that no one cares about dead threads from "last year".. :cool: