1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad experience with coastal tech

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by RaleighMatt, Feb 19, 2007.

1. kmossbro

kmossbro New Member

I'm located in Ca. and I have emailed and called Coastal on several occassions with never a returned call or email. I was really interested in a few of their products for my 2007 but with the lack of customer service before I bought something I can only imagine how it will be if I ran into a problem. How can they stay in business with not even returning a simple email or phone call?

Kmossbro

2. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Coastal's responsiveness is spotty at best. I also received a profoundly rude, unprofessional ranting phone call in which Dave "went Coastal" in response to an installation issue I had with one of their products. I will never buy from them anything I can get elsewhere or don't absolutely need. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a basic lockpick and find alternative XM radio, EV, and power socket solutions. And I was delighted to be able to buy a trailer hitch here.

3. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unless Coastal has a US Patent on their products or the "electronics" that are on the end of the jumper harness are actually "sealed and potted" so no one can "see" what it is made from and how it is actually made and designed, there will be someone coming along selling "clones" of these devices at HALF the price. Better yet, watch some hacker put the wiring diagram, schematic and assembly parts diagram up on the internet for all the "homebuilt electronics tinkerers" to make themselves for just a few dollars. I've seen this a few decades ago with cable TV descramblers, and they are "illegal".... this stuff here is "legal" and it is NOT illegal to copy and reproduce the item for one's own interest and not for resale !!
    If the company is so "laxed" in responding to legitimate customer questions, and provide timely customer service and assistance, I am sure they do not have a law firm to start a lawsuit to sue over someone "cloning" thier overpriced stuff !!

4. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OK, I was going to place my order for the Coastal "2004-2007 Prius Electric Driving Mode Kit" but after reading this thread, I don't know if I want to support such a company.

Here's the thing though - I'm not mechanically or electronically inclined, don't solder and don't particularly enjoy getting my hands dirty, though I can follow instructions and use a screwdriver: What's my alternative?

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1x1 @ Jun 26 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]468508[/snapback]</div>
    Learn to solder? :)

Seriously, if you can learn how (it's not difficult) or know someone who can do the soldering for you, it's not too tough a job. I consider myself somewhat mechanically challenged, but I was able to tackle it as described here. I've done some soldering, so that was a help.

I'm with you on Coastal's spotty customer service record. If it had been more consistent I probably would have bought their product.

6. Spylake

Spylake New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Feb 19 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]392953[/snapback]</div>
    This is an old thread but I just thought some might like to know...

If you have a UPS account and print your own shipping labels, you get issued a tracking number for the label and the UPS tracking computer will list it as "Notice to expect shipment" (I forget the exact message)

Meaning they are waiting to receive the actual shipment from the shipper. The shipper if they are lazy could take days to package and drop off the box.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I recently had a good experience with Coastal. I ordered an EV switch which Hobbit and I installed at AltWheels Fest. It did not work. Hobbit checked everything out to confirm it. I sent to emails to Coastal which went unanswered, then found their phone number. The sweet young thing on the phone looked me up, and told me a Return Authorization would be sent out.

It was, along with a replacement EV unit, which I did not expect. No questions asked, and technically out of warranty, since I kept the unit 30 days before installing it.

One thing I have noticed about the Coastal complaints, is that those who try to contact them via email are far less likely to get satisfaction. So if you do not know how to use a phone, DO NOT use Coastal unless you want to take your chances that there will be no problems.

8. wardo

wardo Wardo

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Am getting a 404 "not found" on all CoastalTech websites today - is it a web problem or is something else going on?

9. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Simple answer to the problem. 1. We all stop buying from them. 2. We do not recommend them to anyone due to their pathetic customer care. 3. Those that run this site refuse any and all advertising for their products untill the e-mails start proving they have changed their ways.

10. HybridBoy

HybridBoy New Member

I agree with the many posts in this thread about CoastalETech's lack of customer service/communication. I have ordered several parts from them including two ultimate lockpicks, EV Mode kit, & hitch for bike rack. It wasn't until recently that my second lockpick for my Mom's prius was defective and I sent it back for replacement under their 1 year warranty. I followed the instructions about where to send it and exactly how to label it. I waited over two months and then I started calling. I called about eight times and then I finally called my credit card company to reverse the charges. Fortunately I pay an insurance fee for my credit card that I use for many many Internet purchases I make. The charge was reversed the very next day, however I still needed the part for my Mom's new Prius. I went ahead and ordered it again and this time I requested the fastest shipping which runs around $45 or so. I included this fee and the original $11 ground shipping fee from my first order and the $229 fee for the lock pick I never received a replacement for. I sent the grand total of $285 to my credit card company and that's exactly what I got back. I was intent on making coastaletech pay for any shipping charges that do not complete my order in an expedited fashion, regardless of their "shipping fee policy" stated on all their orders.

My suggestion! : CoastaleTech has no customer service so let's treat it as such. Don't even contact them, send back your defective part, order the new one immediately, call your credit card company and have them reverse the first charge including all the shipping fee's. If they question the fashion in which you handled the transaction, let them know it was all due to their lack of customer support and service!:

11. Spur

Spur New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Re: coastal tech

Ok, I give up. I could not find a phone number on their site. Does anyone have a good number for them? Please. Maybe give me one of those personal messages so I don't have to search threads.
    Thanks,
    Al

Silver 07, Package 6 with sunroof.

12. Stocktrader

Stocktrader New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: coastal tech

Heya Spur,

Email sent.

13. Spur

Spur New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks,
    Called them, got my hitch 2 days later. No Problem. Because I had to call, they threw in a power mod kit. Very cool.
    I am Happy.

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry guys, I have to report great results with Coastal, XM, Mudflaps, The order showed up right away, Just ordered Lockpick 3, Should be here Monday or so. I called them when I placed my first order, got all my questions answered right away!!!

Sometimes things get backed up, but with this chatroom and others, and all the Prius diehards wanting toys right away, they are probably busy. But I also agree if a delay is in order, drop a email and let us know!!! It can't hurt to let a person know for whatever reason there might be a delay on the order!! I am understanding that way!!!

That being said, looking forward to Lockpick 3!!

All things come to those who wait ....

73 de Pat KK6PD

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick follow up ....

The Lockpick 3 showed up on Friday, not the Monday as I expected!!!

Yeah!!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

16. prmrpwr

prmrpwr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Bad experience with coastal tech (mine is good!)

My recent experience with Coastal on parts for my '07 Prius has actually been good. I find that they respond better to phone calls than to emails; in fact they've never replied to an email now that I think about it.

They now have a customer service person answering the phone (who is somewhat uninformative), but when I needed a part for my trailer hitch I asked her to get back to me with an estimate, and Kelly herself called me the next day. I ordered the part and got it in less than a week, at no charge.

Keeping in mind all the other cars they provide parts for (with owners of those cars also being critical of their customer service I bet) I think they are upgrading their efforts.

I now have the EV switch, trailer hitch, power outlet mod, and lockpick - they all work well.