1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad for Long Term Health of Hybrid Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cycledrum, Jan 10, 2012.

1. stevil

stevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New owner, new user, so forgive me if I'm out of my league here, but one observation comes to mind - the acceptable envelope for EV mode (temp, SOC, speed, acceleration) use is pretty tight. Wouldn't the reasons for that be as much for protection as performance?

I mean, Toyota can't predict when you're going to use it, they can only react when you do?

2. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We sure think alike! :eek:......

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes!:)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes!:p

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that during warm up the Prius tries to run the engine without making power. Engine control parameters are shifted to make heat, not torque. This is done for emissions, and is the reason that the Prius draws heavily on the battery for the first minute or so.

Ideally you want enough charge in the battery to support this mode of operation, and you don't want to accelerate heavily or you force the ICE to provide propulsion, which hurts mileage and emissions. Running down the battery the night before works against this normal mode of operation.

Tom