1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Hybrid Battery/Independent Mechanic in Northern Virginia? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jonsmilburn, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mark Bulmer

Mark Bulmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look up "Warrenton Hybrid". It's a super-quality operation that uses Dorman refurbished batteries. You get a 3-year warranty and a complete install cost of ~$2000. Better warranty than Toyota for this item in my opinion and Toyota charges $3,000 (to replace an out of warranty battery, or more apparently). I even had to claim the warranty, after less than a year but more than 60,000 miles since the last swap and it was an easy operation (complimentary diagnostic and a week wait for delivery). Thanks again Warrenton Hybrid (of Northern Virginia). Also you can look up all the good reviews Dorman gets for its refurbished batteries. And once again, if anyone wants to know, "Hey Man ! I drive Prius !"

#21 Mark Bulmer, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the dealer installs the new battery the warranty is 3 years. If the Parts Dept. sells the battery the warranty is 1 year and some assembly will be required.

Your refurb lasted less than a year and 60000+ miles. Refurbs seem to make sense for those who don't expect to keep the car much longer. I don't recall reading any threads about a dealer having to replace the second battery under warranty and that new battery should be expected to last as long as the original.

3. Mark Bulmer

Mark Bulmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I must disagree. When I replaced my first hybrid battery it already had a refurbished one in it at about 130,000...I think the new battery or the refurbished last around 60,000 - 80,000 miles in VA heat. I would not pay an extra $1,000 + from Toyota for new battery, when I have a 3-year warranty on a refurbished from Dorman (that gives me 45-50 mpg). I have 215,000 on Prius and plan to keep it to 300,000 at least.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot has changed since your Dorman was rebuilt. Early rebuilt batteries were better because the stock of good modules were plenty.

However, a few years on, thing are different. Good modules are few and far between. The rebuilds are sometimes not even lasting 6 months and the labor (not covered in the warranty) and inconvenience (car out of action) quickly adds up to a major PIA. There are many threads here of late with sad tales when an owner decided to save money going the rebuilt way. Sure, there are probably a couple of legitimate use cases for using a rebuilt, but if you want reliability and longish life, you need to get a used battery rebuilt using modules from a low milage Gen III, replacing every module, or buy a Toyota new. Either of those options are not cheap.