1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BlazingStar, May 13, 2017.

1. BlazingStar

BlazingStar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All,

I have approximately 156k miles on an '06 Prius owned from new condition. My car was just diagnosed with a bad Hybrid battery. They want to replace with OEM for $3,400.

Questions:

Is this price reasonable?

I thought it's possible to now replace only the bad battery cells and not the whole battery pack. Is there a reason the dealership mechanic did not recommend this, I.e is it better to replace the entire battery pack at the same time rather than just the bad cells?

Given my mileage, is the new battery a good investment or is the money better spent on a new car?

This car has been the best I have owned with little maintenance costs that fall outside what can be classified as routine. The car has been maintained well throughout. What else should I be asking that I haven't?

Thank you.

2. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got the code:
    p0a80

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's about the going rate for a dealer install.

It's not a bad DIY if you can find a dealer to sell you the battery. Some are as low as around $2100, and the warranty is one year vs three.

The dealer part includes the modules, case, buss bars and thermistors. ECU and relays and other parts need to be transferred, so you're not quite getting the whole thing new anyway.

Less expensive is a third-party reman battery like Dorman, with a decent warranty but not 100% reliable. They still use old modules.

Another option would be to find a good salvaged Gen3 and replace the modules only, maybe around $1000 and a bit trickier DIY.

Cheapest would be a DIY analysis and module replacement, which is best left to hobbyists who don't need a reliable car.

4. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the thorough reply and available options. I cannot DIY. I have zero auto maintenance experience. I am leaning towards OEM replacement, but in reading your reply note that there are components that won't be replaced even with new OEM install. What are odds that those other components fail and are they costly, or is that not known?

Are you aware of the odds something else costly goes wrong with an 11 year old Prius with my mileage?

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I'm struggling with what to do here.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has the vehicle maintenance been up to par or better (dealership or otherwise, including recalls), if you can supply a list of items that have been addressed and when, it would make it easier to say what may need attention in the future.

6. lgherb

lgherb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 1st Prius was a 2005 that had over 260,000 miles on it when my insurance company declared it a total loss over a fairly low to medium fender bender.

Honestly, I think you have another 100,000 miles in your car barring something catastrophic happening. If it hasn't been wrecked and you've been keeping up with maintenance schedules, your car should be fine. The only "major" thing my car needed was a new muffler after about 200K miles (which was way cheaper than a new car).

7. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The remaining battery components are very reliable, as is the rest of the car with decent maintenance. If you haven't done so and you decide to keep the car, replace transaxle fluid and brake fluid. Engine and inverter coolant should have been changed twice by now. Start checking engine oil every other gas fill-up--most start consuming oil at this mileage and that's a critical component. Get someone to show you how if you don't know.

8. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to dump the money into getting a new battery. It was between that or getting a new car, but your info makes me confident my money is best spent invested in a new battery.

The car has been serviced, per below.

43,961 - trans fluid
    49,537 - water pump (I believe this was under warranty)
    58,750 - engine oil, drain plug gasket, replace engine coolant.
    84,023 - trans fluid
    90,164-brake fluid
    95,605 - wynn coolant flush (?), inverter flush, fuel/air induction
    125k- trans fluid
    146k- brake fluid

It appears my vehicle only had 1 engine and inverter fluid change. Andrew, is this of significance that it's only been done once, or is it ok if I have then do both at my current mileage?

Thanks for the info in the oil check. I do know how to do that, thankfully.

lgherb likes this.
  9. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, one other question:

The OEM, which is now down to $3,275, comes with a one year warranty.

The after market battery is about the same price with a 3 year warranty.

Thoughts?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oem installed at the dealer should be 3 years. have them call toyota, it was changed recently.

11. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi bisco,

Thank you. I noticed Andrew mentioned 3 years, but I thought it was a typo. I'll call them. Thanks, so much.

12. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your maintenance to date appears to be well done, maybe even to excess. It looks like engine coolant has been changed twice, at 58K (quite early) and at 95K. (Coolant "flush" means it was changed. "Wynn" is a chemical additive, a way to add profit to the job. There's no need to "flush" the systems.) It should be done again now, as well as the inverter coolant, and at 50K intervals going forward.

If/when I'm faced with the same decision, I'll do the same. I looked for a new car to replace the aging Prius last year, and could find nothing I liked as well. So I'll wait until it's time, save money for the repair fund, and keep fixing it.

Checking the oil is probably the single best thing you can do for this car. If you can check the pink coolant level in the two reservoirs, keep an occasional eye on those, too. That may need a flashlight in some lighting situations, at least according to my wife.

#12 andrewclaus, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    lgherb likes this.
  13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which after market battery has a 3yr warranty, and is it NEW or not?

You might be interested in..

Taking one for the team o_O and getting a NEW battery from Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery | Bumblebee Batteries for $2400 (Oregon = no tax, local pickup or $125/ $250 shipping which includes core return) and have your current mechanic install or look for a less expensive installation option (there must one, maybe try a Bumblebee authorized partner service center by calling 1-888-968-5005 or Contact - Bumblebee Batteries ).

You would get a three (3) warranty on the above NEW battery, and potentially save money while supporting a quality small business (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The after market battery was not new, but came with a 3 year warranty. The OEM is new, but only carries a 1 year warranty. I am waiting on the service manager to call me back. I'm going to press on the warranty on the OEM, per comments here that it should be 3 years. If so, the OEM is the route I'm taking.

My car has only been serviced by my car dealer. I know I'm probably been paying more but there is ROI for this as they've stood behind warranty issues and give me loaners, etc, and offer me time efficiency as they do outstanding reliable work. I'm not comfortable taking on the battery purchase myself and locating an install shop. It's too much money outlay couple with little user knowledge. Bumble Bee looks like a very reliable, sound operation, though, so I hope others support them.

Andrew, I'll ask them to change the engine and inverter fluid on this visit and will start checking my oil level routinely. I haven't been doing that (which I realize sounds as inane as it is).

Thanks, everyone, for the assistance. You guys have armed me with knowledge and have saved me a ton of money. I was actually considering a new car before posting here.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is in response to the word "only" in the quote above: I am quite confident that you will not need the warranty on a new Toyota battery (the car will die long before it does) but you WILL need the warranty on a refurb solution (sometimes multiple times).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know. They were almost the same price. I couldn't see spending that much money on something refurbished, even with a longer warranty.

This forum is tremendous.

17. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you guys all mechanics?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but there are some here who do different levels of work on their own cars, a few pro's, a lot of engineers' a a couple numbskulls like me.:cool:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most of the people here are truly DIY Prius enthusiasts. Often times, people here know Prius better than typical auto mechanics.

20. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bisco, thanks for the warranty info. I called to inquire, and they just called back to confirm that it's 3 years. Yay.

I'm getting the engine and inverter fluid changed, too.

It's amazing you "enthusiasts" know more than the dealer.

I should have my car in a couple days. All my best to you all, and thanks, again.