1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BlazingStar, May 13, 2017.

1. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I know you decided to go with the OEM battery and in my opinion that's the best way if you plan to keep the car. Just wanted to chime in with my experience changing the HV battery my self and the current status of my car. Bought and changed the battery in my 06 with 168,000 miles. Lasted a month then it threw some new codes. Decided to take it to the dealer this time, but had an idea it could be the ECU on the HV battery. Service guy called and reported that there was a bad cell in the HV battery and the ECU was indeed bad. They are replacing the battery under the warranty even tho I DIY'ed it and the ECU cost is $875.00 with the total coming out to about $1400.00, yeah they are charging me labor for the ECU even tho they have to r&r the battery. Car just went to 170,000 miles and since I intend to keep it, I decided to have the work done. I live in Hawaii, so we always pay more for products, my replacement battery was listed at $3724.00 with my military discount I paid $3300.00, same thing with the ECU, list is $977.00 with the discount it comes to $875.00. Love this car not only for it's fragile gas consumption, but also for it's great utility.