1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad or stiff ride in extremely cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by briank101, Jan 20, 2014.

1. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In our recent -20 F cold spell in Chicago, I noticed the ride got very stiff, have others experienced this in very cold weather? My theory is that the oil in the shocks or dampers become extra viscous at these temps and the cold shocks causes the ride to becomes like that of a Honda Civic with a dropped suspension. (It's so amusing to watch those Civic "low riders" going over railroad crossings, but it's all image right????)

Anyway I would think the colder temps would lower the air pressure in the tires, softening the tires a bit, but perhaps the rubber hardens counteracting that benefit. I have Michelin Primacy BTW. Since temps went back up above about +10 F ride seem to be OK again.

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you're spot-on about the shocks.
    It's probably difficult maintaining consistent damping over a reasonable temperature range. That was not a reasonable cold snap.

3. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It must affect our fellow central Canada folks and others in colder climes quite regularly. Interestingly I didn't here too much on this angle from our Northern brother and sisters, more talk about mpg loss and heater output in such extremes, it seems.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    -20 degrees?
    It's better now that it's "warmed up" to 10 degrees?

Am I glad I live in the Northwest.

We go to Defcon 4 if we get a light dusting of snow in the valley. Anything below 35 degrees is considered evolution stopping.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I ride on winter tyres which are, defacto, harder riding than the factory tyres. I only notice it because when I tried to run 40/38 on the Nokian R's, I was appalled at the ride quality so I lowered the pressures to 38/36 and it's more manageable. In addition, the roads are horrible in the winter. The snow covered roads will heave and partially melt if it goes above zero, leaving a path that's no different than the off beaten path in a forest somewhere. (Yeah, I might as well say I take the Prius "off roading" every winter lol). Once Spring comes along and the freeze-thaw cycle happens, it's pothole galore.

What we call roads here, the rest of the country calls "trails" :p

hybridbear likes this.
  6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not only the oil in the shocks becomes more viscous at those temperatures but the tires also become hard as a rock. There have been cases where extreme cold temperature have cause tires to literally shatter.

7. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My winter tires definitely have softer sidewalls than my LLR tires. It is especially noticeable with a cross wind. I can feel it and have to keep making minor steering corrections. I'm also close to the Chicago area and the Prius does get a little noisy when it gets down to subzero weather. Today, MLK day, is supposed to be the nicest day for the next week. Getting ready for more single digit weather.

8. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    don't forget that the roads are absolutely HORRIBLE with the off and on melting snow and freezing temps we've been getting here in chicagoland. lots of "buckles" or "ripples" in the road that are small but cause a terrible ride.

9. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, shock absorber oil, tires, especially old summer tires, and also a lot of rubber bushings in the suspension get stiff in cold weather.

solrunner likes this.
  10. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live on my farm, miles out in the country on a 3 mile long gravel road. That road got a new surface of very rough gravel last summer. The first few days this winter when temps dipped well below 0, On a cold drive away I noticed the little 10 Prius rode uncomfortably rough and all interior panels squeaked and rattled. I did that a couple days then decided ,NO MORE. I am an old retired coot that sees no need to beat the car and my body without reason. The next day, temp about -20, I started the Prius early and walked back to the warm house for 15 minutes.
    When I returned to the car, the ICE was warm and had turned off, the interior was toasty warm. I drove away in comfort without any squeaks or rattles from the now warm interior. Life is good ;)

11. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regarding squeaks and rattles I usually try to isolate and try to fix them somewhat when the weather is cold as the cold gives me a fighting chance of finding where the source of the noise is. I have isolated a few, one squeak under gear stick "bridge" specifically where the seam comes together underneath. Another squeak is the steering column cover which doesn't exactly have a tight fit. Another noise (a thump really) is either the rear door or the floor cover in the rear compartment when going over bumps. It appears the noise optimization of the Prius was done in moderate temps with all the tolerances and "tightness" of the fasteners, seams, etc., were perhaps optimized in warmer temps.

If you can get your Prius quiet during the cold spells, it will probably stay quiet at warmer temps. Having a squeak-free Prius can really improve the driving experience as the car is pretty quiet otherwise, especially if one has fitted Michelin Primacy tires which nicely quieten road noise. Then you are really left with wind noise and the Prius aerodynamics help with that (although it could be better).

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Cold? -20? Cold? What wimps! Try -40! ;)

Yup, when it's cold the suspension gets very stiff. I remember well going out to my Landcruiser, years ago, when it was -40 something. Got in and sat -on- the seat (no give). A little voice in my head said "oh oh". Push the clutch to the floor and use -both- hands to pull the shift lever to "N". Then engage the starter. It goes er (one rev), the engine catches, and goes "chuff, chuff, chuff" for about 5 sec, then starts running normally. It, my current FJ Cruiser, and every vehicle I've ever driven in winter have very stiff suspension in the cold. Drive them gently until the shocks warm up!

Fun with winter!

solrunner and hybridbear like this.
  13. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Boy! That snow just has a special crunch at -40 below doesn't it! :D

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I was a kid I visited my Grand Parents in Montana. I drove my Corvair from SoCal to there and experienced -30 degree weather. Needless to say my Corvair didn't appreciate the bitter cold. Every morning I had to take my Gramps blow torch and place it under the oil pan to get the little air cooled engine to start. Even had to take the battery inside at night. Even when I did get it going, the wheel bearing grease was so cold it felt like the emergency brake was applied. 30w oil turned to 120w gear lube at those temperatures.

15. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the tires roll through it a -40 in my part of the world, the sound is a high pitched squeal =:0

retired4999 likes this.
  16. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah! walking thru the snow is as if breaking crystal. Also if you take a deep breath it really take does take your breath away! It's special!!!:D

17. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When it gets that cool the air sparkles. When that happens you know it's way cold.

Tideland Prius and retired4999 like this.
  18. ElectronFlux

ElectronFlux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had the same problem as the OP, at least I now know I'm not the only one with a Prius that feels every bump in the road.

solrunner likes this.
  19. rsgillmd

rsgillmd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder at what temperature the magic point is for the squeaking/stiffness to start? About two weeks ago it was single digits (Fahrenheit) in the morning. Earlier this week it was in the teens. I haven't noticed a problem yet.

Luckily Memphis gets mild winters as a general rule of thumb. Single digits is the worst I've seen here. I definitely don't miss the northeast winters, although I'm sure they are mild compared to Candian winters you guys seem to be posting about. :)