1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad quality gas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steelerfan2018, Mar 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,
    Just wanted to warn everyone out there about bad fuel. I put a lot of miles on my car, some days around 100-150. Driving many hours per day - averaging around 5 or 6. So basically I know how my car runs/sounds etc.

So I was out driving lyft and had to get gas at some little store. And I noticed immediately that the car ran a little rough, and I even thought I might have a muffler problem. After a few days of this, I went to my regular gas station and all of that went away - sounds good etc... I even noticed that the MPG went up - the lousy gas had me around 38 and after the good gas above 40.

Just something I wanted to share.

Rob

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We often have folks with theories about the best gas for their Prius, E0, Premium, top tier, etc.

The best gas is from the most used storage tank in your town, the crud does not have time to settle to the bottom. So buy unleaded E10 regular at the busiest station. If it is top tier great. it is wildly unlikely that more premium or E0 is sold in your town then E10 regular, so avoid those. Premium may have very minor lower MPG than regular, E0 will in theory get 3% better MPG than regular, but both are likelier to be bad gas. YMMV.

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, always beware of those smaller, Mom and Pop stations. Many years ago, I was a stockboy in one with gas pumps and our nighttime guy was in charge of taking manual tank measurements and we had a very long wooden pole to stick down the tanks and read the marks on the pole. To make it easier, the nighttime guy would coat the wooden pole with a bunch of baby powder. I asked him if all that powder in the tanks hurt car engines and he shrugged and said he didn't care. I worked there and never filled up for that reason!
    We have a very busy Top Tier station down the road...sometimes it's a few cents higher than others around but I feel it's worth it.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You should not notice an immediate difference when you add bad gas, nor should you notice it immediately when you add good gas. It takes a while for the bad gas to make it's way through the car's plumbing,

When I was young I bought the cheapest gas that I could find. My two stroke 90 CC single cylinder motorbike** had a small 1.6 gallon tank and used oil injection to lubricate the cylinder. One day it started to run erratically about 30 minutes after refueling. I pulled the plug while parked on the shoulder of the road and found it was fouled. I cleaned the plug and was able to drive several miles before it fouled again. By draining the float bowl through a paper napkin, I was able to see water droplets in the gas. The water was shorting out the plug and left the unburned oil and gas coating the interior of the cylinder head. To get it to run I had to drain the gas into a coffee cup found in the gutter, filtered through a piece of cloth cut from my tee shirt and then poured back into the gas tank.

TLDR: Bad gas takes a little while to impact the car, and adding good gas does very little until all the bad gas is flushed from the system.

**The Suzuki TC90 blazer was a neat little 2 stroke trail / street bike in the 1970s. It had a dual range 8 speed transmission so that you could do 60 on the open road with one setting and climb a steep trail at 2 mph with the off road setting.

5. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some cars are more sensitive to gasoline quality than others. Driving a new Ford Ranger for the past two years was an eye-opener. No more Sam’s Club fuel for me! The Ranger is now gone from my garage, and I am even more of a proponent of Top Tier fuel for all of our cars, even if they don’t show immediate symptoms from lesser-quality fuel.

ColoradoBoo likes this.