1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad skid traction ECU--safe?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jackmccullough, Feb 7, 2022.

1. jackmccullough

jackmccullough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, the title tells the story right there.

2008 Prius with roughly 180,000 miles on it. I had my new 12V battery die last week and I got the red triangle and the oil light. I topped up the oil, had the battery charged, and took it to the dealer to interpret the triangular warning light.

They just told me the code shows I need to replace the skid traction ECU. The price they're quoting me is $2900 for the part and labor ($2300 for the ECU alone).

I just put a couple of thousand into it last summer and I'm not interested in putting another three k into it now. Not indulging in the sunk cost fallacy this time.

My question is this: is it safe to keep driving it in this condition? I assume it won't pass inspection when that comes due, although that's not until August or September, so should it be okay to keep driving it until then?

TIA

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're fine. just be careful in bad weather. does the car start and run with the triangle?

you might be able to find a mech to put in a salvage unit.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if you had to pay for the "interpretation", but look on the receipt for the "code", and post it here for additional guidance.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since the brakes are controlled by a computer, you might want to post the codes from the dealer so that we can make suggestions based on data- and not on assumptions or guesses. Also, sometimes even "bad" codes have been the result of wiring problems. Not every fault is fixed by "replacing a big expensive part."

Now your dash warning lights- was it just the red triangle (master warning light) or were there additional amber lights on? (if so, which ones). How low was the oil level in the engine? Any unusual (or louder than normal) sounds when using the brakes?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. jackmccullough

jackmccullough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, thanks, guys.

I just picked the car up. The code was C-1300 and no other codes were noted on the dash.

No other lights (except the oil pressure light) and the check engine light is not on.

I just drove it home and I didn't notice anything unusual.

At this point, unless there is something that can be done without too much expense, my plan is probably to keep going as long as I can, which is probably until I'm due for inspection, and then replace it. However, I'm all ears for any suggestions.

Thanks.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    best bet is to ask around private shops for a salvage install

jackmccullough likes this.