1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Bad smell in the air conditioning system

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ole Petter, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Ole Petter

Ole Petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi my Plug-n Prius develops a bad smell in spring when the warm weather comes and again in autumn. The local Toyota seevicemen have repeatedly changed the coupe air filter and used some spray in the air vents to help out, but to no avail. The first time they changed the coupe air filter it was very wet and it didn't smell too good, but later filter changes had not shown a wet filter...

I have used an Omega spray to kill the "bugs and smell" from the AC system spring and autumn myself, and it does make the car smell good for a qouple of months time.

Yesterday I went to a Auto store nearby to get some more AC cleaner. I eas told that tis was no use as there must be some fault with my car and to contact Toyota and tell them to have this sorted out... I talked to the manager today and he says that this is not normal and that he will try to help.

Maybe someone here have some experience with the AC system on their cars?
    I mostly use the electric mode in the warmer spring, summer and autumn months - I usually drive shorter trips but I guess that is quite normal?

Many thanks for advice!

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose my only question is has anyone muttered the phrase "Rodent Infestation" to you?
    Did that original "Wet" cabin filter smell like....rodent urine?

Kind of hard to think of a scenario where that filter get's very wet, unless it includes rodents being where you do not want them to be. There are some pretty ugly pictures of cabin filters in various states of contamination after being discovered and used by mice. It happens.

If you've been unlucky enough to have attracted mice, even if they are now gone, you could have lingering evidence of their existence, in various potentially gruesome forms.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A mildly bad smell in the a/c is somewhat common in most Prii. The system has a problem with mold/mildew developing because of too much condensation or humidity.

My personal fix has caused me to never once have a smelly a/c. I simply turn the a/c off but run the fan at a medium to high speed for a minute or two before shutting the car down. This should dry out the unit before it sits and therefore theoretically prevents mold or mildew.

Ashlem, RCO, jdcollins5 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this problem too in a 2012 Prius c I used to drive. Once I followed what markabele suggested, to turn off the a/c but leave the fan running for a minute or two, the problem seemed to go away.

My mom, who currently drives my 2014 Prius liftback, complained of a similar moldy smell coming from the a/c. I told her to do the same thing, and it also seems to have gone away.

While my 2014 Chevy Volt hasn't had that problem, when my brother was driving it for a few months, he mentioned he didn't have to do the turn the a/c off and leave the fan running for a minute thing in it when he used the a/c. But old habits are hard to get rid of, and I still do the same thing any time I use the a/c in my Volt. No smell from there either thankfully.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I go a bit further than @markabele . I ensure whenever using A/C to shut it down a few blocks before shutting off the car. Also, just rarely use A/C, use it more in wet winter, and then just by setting mode to Heat/Defog, which can activate A/C at a subdued level, depending on conditions. It's pretty much inevitable that heavy/constant A/C use will get the system funky.

It's likely the evaporator (the A/C radiator inside the dash, the device that cools incoming air) with it's labyrinth of fins that's getting moldy, from regular standing water. Maybe other low points. Once something's growing simple drying out and sprays are likely not going to dispel it. Maybe disassemble and clean?

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (warning - lame but patient building humor) Actually the bad AC smell not only falls short as new news . . . . it's not even particular to the new hybrids, or EV's, or alt fuel news thread.
    :D
    Sorry - i've been holding that in for days now
    Petter, read what Mr Leisk said - & said it best - running non ac / regular vent air is the easiest way to minimize the ongoing issue (ever since gen II pri afaik)
    As far as my snarky comment above - I'm certain the feeling is similar to many here who've been around PC since the days of Methuselah
    Methuselah in the Bible - Oldest Man Who Ever Lived
    ;)
    But when one considers how frequently the matter gets re-asked - and when one considers how many threads & OP's and members don't use our crappy search tool .... and EVEN when using our crappy search tool that sucks major butt STILL manages to render (just SOME of) the threads below - as examples ;

Search Results for Query: smell | PriusChat

Funky Mouldy smell from A/C vents | PriusChat

Foul Smell When Air Conditioner is Turned ON | PriusChat

My whole car stinks (2007) | Page 2 | PriusChat

Musty Smell From A/C | PriusChat

Rotten Egg or Natural Gas smell coming from A/C | PriusChat

Do all Gen 2 cars have a mold problem? | Page 2 | PriusChat

2007 Prius A/C Vent Odor (smells like dirty socks) | Page 2 | PriusChat

Mildew under rear passenger carpet | PriusChat

Does your AC Smell | PriusChat

Musty Smell From A/C | PriusChat

Strange smell from heating | PriusChat

Outside Air Intake- AC smell | PriusChat

Any Priuses without an AC smell? | PriusChat

Does bad smell need regassing? | PriusChat

I hate the smell of mildew in the morning ... | PriusChat

Mildew Smell, part # needed for Toyota product | PriusChat

well - it makes one have to wonder . . . .
    is it me? Is it God teaching me to have more grace & patience? ...
    or - are we existing here among a whole lot of co-dependent members ? ...
    or - am I waxing philosophical for no apparent reason? ...
    or - maybe the MOD's ought to put this thread in the CARE AND MAINTENANCE sub forums ? .....
    or - right after this thread, another stinky AC thread will raise its patient building / stinky-ugly head
    ;)