1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad trade in value, anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by VicD, Oct 26, 2015.

1. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i have a 2014 Prius Four, with Plus ground effect kit, TRD spring and rear swaybar. 24,500 miles, excellent condition.

I am trading it in for a station wagon, since i just become a dad, could use the extra space.

However, when i brought it in, dealers are giving me $13k -14k, KBB has been giving me around 17k, nada gave me 16.5k, Edmund gave me 18k with the option of performance suspension as accessory.

i think the number i got from the dealer is very low. has anyone experience this? any good tactic to negotiate for a better number?

Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll get a better number once all the 2015 inventory is gone. Or bring it to car max, not Toyota

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I went the craigslist way and got my asking money but, I was not in a hurry at all. Nor I use the vehicle as a trade in for another and get murder

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Had to sell mine privately, dealer trade in was not good enough.

5. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    selling your car and buying a new one should not be done at the same time if you want to maximize value. That said I would try to find a way to make the prius work

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one wants prius right now, wait until gas price goes up, you'll have to beat off the prospective buyers. should time about right for when your child is actually taking up some space.(y)

11dandans likes this.
  7. 11dandans

11dandans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got a grand for my 1995 F-150 (I was ok with that)

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    those are at peak value right now.

9. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why sell or trade for a station wagon , yes baby coming ,, how many more people can you get in a station wagon ?? , how much more usable space will you be getting ?? Now if you said trading for a cargo van OK?
    I get that ,,

10. VicD

VicD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the reply, for the station wagon, it's basically for more cargo room. Current a stroller and some baby gear already stuff the trunk.

I sold my wrx before on Craigslist. Basically, my experience is very hard to sell a car that more than $15,000. People have to go to bank and get loans, and just not the way people buy these cars from. They prefer dealership.

11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Much simpler and cheaper to buy a new umbrella stroller: $130, a smaller thinner car seat: $250 and a fancy baby bag: $100 with pockets everywhere. Can fit the bag behind the front seat as the rug rats don't need leg space. Just $500 of new baby gear is a whole lot cheaper than trading in your Prius.

I've got two kids and a double stroller. I am frequently shocked by how much stuff fits in the Prius with careful packing. Went camping once, tent, cooking stove, two sleeping bags, pillows, ice chest, and two bikes on a trunk carrier. The toughest thing to fit in the trunk was the ice chest with the stroller but like I said, it was much cheaper to buy an ice chest that fit the trunk well than renting an SUV to go camping.

ftl likes this.