1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad Trans Axle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by calsarah13, May 4, 2013.

1. calsarah13

calsarah13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone ever heard of a Prius trans axle going bad? That's apparently what is going on with my 2008 with 86k miles on it. My mechanic plus techs at two local dealers (Downtown Oakland where they charged me $327 and kept my car for two days and One Toyota where the service manager charged me nothing and just did a short road test) all agree: there is something wrong with my trans axle. The One Toyota guy surmises that the chain in the trans axle has stretched or gotten loose and is hitting the housing as I accelerate.

My dilemma is that my car is out of warranty and I certainly can't afford the ~$7,500 repair job. The car still runs, but the wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh noise keeps getting louder. There is no error code or check engine light. I guess I could trade it in but I still owe money on the car.

Do I have a shot at getting Toyota to pay? No one I've talked to so far has ever heard of a Prius trans axle going bad. I could play that up, and also play up the fact that I'm a young woman and would hate for my Toyota, which I love, to leave me stranded on the side of the road because my transaxle fell out.

Advice?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look for a used one .Can purchase for $750. A locale mechanic can swap for you in a day. H

3. calsarah13

calsarah13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know; that just feels like giving up. I want to stick it to "the man." There really is no reason my trans axle should have failed. It's not like I drive like a cop or something.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A little late for your situation, but: Toyota really downplays transaxle fluid changes. With 3rd gen the US schedule never calls for a fluid change. In Canada, the one schedule for all their vehicles is basically unreadable: it's not clear what they're saying, might be the same...

Anyway, might be worth looking into the service history, see if the fluid was ever changed.

5. calsarah13

calsarah13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm essentially the original owner - I bought it from my mom after she bought it at the end of her three-year lease. It had 38k miles on it then and had never had the trans axle fluid changed. I have only done oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. One set of new tires at around 60k miles. New rear struts at around 75k-80k miles.

The first stealer I took it to this week (Downtown Oakland) drained the fluid as part of the investigation into The Noise. There was nothing unusual about the fluid, apparently, and the fluid draining was also recommended by the regional service guy after they filed a case with Toyota.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are several posts that you can find on PriusChat regarding failed transaxles. There aren't very many failures and it appears your car has logged one of the few.

In your transaxle's case it sounds like the failure is mechanical in nature, perhaps a failed bearing - vs. an electrical failure such as a burnt out stator winding in one of the two motor-generator units.

It sounds like you can drive the car as-is for now. When the transaxle deteriorates further to the point where it needs to be replaced, I agree with the suggestion that you should obtain and install a used transaxle from a salvage yard.

It won't hurt for you to contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center to see if they can help, but that likely will be an exercise in futility - at best they may arrange a discounted repair price, like $4K instead of $7.5K.

cwerdna and HaroldW like this.
  7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happily you are not very far from an independent Prius mechanic with an excellent reputation, Luscious Garage at 475 9th St. in SF. They may be able to resolve this for much less than $7.5k.

8. Lathkeen

Lathkeen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. Lathkeen

Lathkeen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you should call Jeff Spevack.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never personally done business with either, but given how many Priuses Luscious Garage works on, they should be able to diagnose what's wrong and how much.

I concur w/Patrick's post.

I really hope Toyota's willing to give you a significant break on the cost as it's way too early for the transaxle to fail.