1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bad USB Port?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ShenmueTacos, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I recently traded in my 2013 Prius C One toward a 2015 Prius IV. I've only had it for a couple of days, but I can't get my Prius to recognize my USB stick. This same stick worked fine in my Prius C and it also currently works fine in my 2015 RAV4. The RAV4 doesn't appear to have the same Entune system either. So would I need to have the software updated, does this sound like a bad port, or is there something else I am missing?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if there's a loose connection?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does any USB device that you plug into this port acknowledge that it is getting power?

Have you looked in the owner's manual to check the USB stick requirements, just in case the older-design Liftback has USB narrower requirements than the ''c' and RAV4?

Have you tried some other USB sticks -- especially some older, smaller ones -- in the Prius to see they might work?

BTW, how many GB is this particular stick?

4. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually can't find any other USB sticks at the moment. I've moved recently as well and have no idea where I've put them.

I haven't looked in the manual for what he requirements are. That actually didn't cross my mind haha.

I am trying to use a Kingston 32GB stick. It's formatted to FAT32.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I'm seeing lots of file system restrictions in my Display Audio System manual, I'm not seeing any device size limit. And I do believe that the 32GB stick on our 'winter' rig was working in my Prius too. (It usually had a 16GB stick until that went temporarily missing.)

Some of my other devices don't accept 32GB cards.

If you can plug a phone or music player or anything else into the port -- even a USB booklight -- to verify that it has power, that would be the next most helpful step. A blown power fuse would be the easiest thing to fix.

#5 fuzzy1, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    ShenmueTacos likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if this helps since mine is older than yours and a PiP rather than hatchback; things might be different. But, if I plug my phone into the port in that cavity you can't reach or see under the front of the center console, it just charges the phone. If I plug it into the port inside the storage bin by my elbow, the system asks if I want to connect to the internet. So, one is just power and the other is power and data.

ShenmueTacos likes this.
  7. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It appears the Prius simply doesn't like my USB stick. Which is weird since it worked in my Prius C and RAV4. Anyway, I was able to locate a mini USB cable and plugged my phone into it. Not only did it start to charge the phone, but it started to play a Podcast I had saved onto my phone. Guess I'll have to try to get a new compatible stick!

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! :)

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is very odd.

9. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Indeed, you would think if it would work for one Toyota that it would work for them all. Oh well!

By the way, anyone know of a good compatible stick I could get?

10. ShenmueTacos

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mini update.

So my original stick, that I spoke about above, is USB 3.0. I was able to locate some older USB sticks that are 2GB in size, are USB 2.0, formatted to FAT32, and they worked fine in the car. So I decided to buy a larger sized 64GB USB 2.0 drive. It arrived today and put I some MP3s on it...and it doesn't work. It does appear to be getting power as there is a light in the USB that lights up when I first put it in and it is also formatted the same as the others. Yet I cant select USB in the source menu.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a very old and long thread regarding getting a USB port to recognize a stick. Find yourself about 2 weeks time to go through it!! I had the same issue. Tried the first 4 options listed as a fix with nothing working. I finally loaded on the stick music media software like Windows Player and it work. My guess is whatever the platform your trying to get to work, (pictures or music), find a software program that correlates to it and load it on the stick.

ShenmueTacos likes this.