1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bait and switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sierrasig, Jul 10, 2008.

1. sierrasig

sierrasig New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just purchase a 2008 Prius (package 5) after waiting in line for a month for the car. I had rented a 2006 Prius from the dealer for several days to make sure I was really happy with the car and brought it home content. I had driven 200 miles of mixed highway and stop and go driving and used 4 gallons of gas (the indicator showed 48MPG).

I have my new car and I am struggling to get 40MPG under the same circumstances, same settings etc.

I note that unlike the rental, the car very rarely operates from the battery and also that the battery never fully recharges- it is at about 2/3 full.

I called the dealer and he just said drive it 1000 miles and perhaps it will get better.

Is there a chance that there is something different about the car- or is there something wrong with the first couple hundred miles driven?

2. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My mpg didn't really improve until I got my first oil change (synthetic) and had them increase the nitrogen in my tires (42/40). Check your tire pressure.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dealer is correct. The battery should stay about 2/3rds charged, except under special circumstances. Likewise, your mileage will improve as you Prius breaks in. Give it a little time.

Tom

4. sierrasig

sierrasig New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thank you both for your suggestions! I will be less paranoid about the battery and will check with the dealer about the tire inflation. Patience.... never been good at that, but will work on it! ;)

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a break in period. Just be patient.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like stated above, give it some time.

If you are truely worried I can stop by on my way home (I commute through Davis) and we can test drive it on the backroads I use for max milage. Road 27 and Pedrick Road work well for that sort of thing. :)

7. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Check the oil level and make sure defrosters are off.

8. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adjust the tire pressure as per Prius chat. Look in to grill blocking, even partially in warm climates/weather. I find that my car with the grill unblocked takes ~20 miles just to get to NORMAL temp, and the fuel mileage begins to go up. (In warm weather) With the grill blocked in cooler weather it still takes the 20 miles!

Icarus

PS. Buy a scan gauge here to monitor temps. You will see a direct link between temps and mpg!

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please check the mileage link in my signature. You will see that for the first, what, 9 months I never broke 50mpg. This summer I've already had one 71mpg tank and am currently working on my second. There is a break-in period: both for you and the car. Don't worry about it.

10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    most sales men are sharks and not to be trusted but the car itself is very sound and very well made.

Relax. You bought the finest car made of it's type! at any price!

11. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where do you get the prius chat sticker?

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't worry! There is a break-in period for the car, too. Just as Tony said, you will learn how to drive better (for higher MPGs, that is) over time. Also, the car itself may require a break-in period.

I noticed, for one, that my battery's State of Charge was consistently low for the first several weeks. I really was worried about this, but I notice that this changed, rather suddenly, after about 1,000 miles (maybe even less). I don't know what happened, but it just changed. My mileage increased a bit after that -- even though we were headed into a cool Fall season.

I would take F8L up on the offer of having someone else (with F8L's experience and willingness) take a look at your car. If the two of you go out on his known route, you'll get a real fair comparison going. You also may learn a bit more about driving techniques for getting the MPGs up!