1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Balance at the cell low voltage limit

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by dan2l, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    It has been another couple of weeks and the balance is still holding up. I still am not running the DB8s. The other day I got the red light at 45.5v as it should. The great thing is that this happened with the lowest cell at 2.8v because the balance at the bottom is working properly.

I still have U7 and U8 a little high becuase of the CellLog power issue before I fixed them. I am working to pull them down a little at a time.

Enjoy,
    Dan

2. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally made the jumper wire mods in the two cellogs. My cell 7 & 8 were always the high cells to end the charging cycle.

But now it looks like cell 6 on my upper pack is climbing high early. May be I goofed in the mod ? it would race up to 3.7v while the rest of the cells are still around 3.45v. Comment ?
    thanks, Pb

3. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Pb,
    Yes, this sound normal. You will always have one cell go high first.

Do a discharge cycle and a charge cycle and then Email me that data in a pair of XLS files. I can tell more what is happening from that data.

What vintage is your system? Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar?

Did you balance at the bottom and capacity match your cells?

Are you plugged into balancers? If so Are they DB8s?

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

4. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan - I have the Dec 09 vintage, buddy paired 4kwh, bottom balanced but not capacity matched. I am not using any balancers, but may be I should be ?? I do have some DB8s, but have been using just cellog8 with low/high voltage siren.

My cellog may be acting up though, because I saw cell 8 draining rapidly but when I un-plug then replug the cellog; everything looks fine with delta volt ~ 4mv.
    pb

5. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Pb,
    Is cell 6 also going low when you get to full discharge? To be sure you are seeing full discharge you need to run the system till you get a red light or until you get your lowest cell down to 2.7v.

Knowing if cell 6 is going low is important for understanding capacity. If it is going low then this is a capacity issue. If cell 6 is not going low then you can drain about 1/2ah out of just cell 6 and see if that helps.

If you want to keep the benefit of Balance at the bottom. you do not want to plug in Balancers.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

6. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan - I am logging data just yet, I think I need to log to get the full picture. Unfortunately I am not the user of the Prius, the wife is; though more of a reason to log the data. From the plots you sent, the single cell-pair reaching full charge before the rest of the pack looks quite similiar. And I think it makes sense as each cell has its own capacity; a la Jack at EVTV.

How does using the balancer to top balance ruin the bottom balance ? my thinking is that top balancing just bleep off the high cell, thus avoid the loud siren, and allow additional electron into the rest of the pack. On the other hand, I don't think it would add that much more juice to the pack as the whole.

Thanks for your feedback.
    -Pb

7. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Pb,
    When you take a little out of cell 6 you effect its whole range. You cannot take it out of cell 6 at the top with out it effecting cell 6 at the bottom.

If you have cell 6 going out at the top and cell 6 going out at the bottom you will not do any better with balancing. In this case cell 6 has low cappacity and balancing will not improve.

Thanks,
    Dan

8. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right, it's like cell 6 is a smaller soda can. So if I pour some out because it is full while the rest of the pack is not full; can 6 will have less volume left over.

9. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Pb,
    So we will always have some variation from cell to cell. The question is if you are getting good net performance from the entire pack.

My guess is that you are getting better than 95% of the available power out, compared to what you might get if you had also capacity paired your cells. To be honest that is really good considering to all the work involved to do capacity pairing.

Thanks,
    Dan

10. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to check the converter output voltage this weekend. I didn't use nail polisher on the pot last time. My wife is the main Prius driver and it doesn't seem to be assisting. The recharging is also shallow, as if it is in high SOC. My cell 6 approaches 3.7 v when the pack is still below 55v; so the charger is not even in the second stage.

I have to turn on the data logging in order to diagnose further.
    thanks, Pb

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a ScanGauge?
    If so then you should program it so that you can watch the SOC, current flow, etc.

Then you will know for sure if it is assisting and when.

12. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes,
    At this point it is very important to have the CellLog data.

Have you loaded the Software onto your computer? Remember to only plug in one USB to one CellLog at a time.

I will Email you some help on down loading.

Thanks,
    Dan

13. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been running this system for quite some time now with no balancers. I have pulled a little more charge out of the cells that went high because of the CellLogs power draw. Now that I have fixed the CellLogs it is balanced very well. It is now never giving me any alarm. the converter is shutting down properly when the lowest cell is still above 2.8v. The charger is now ramping down properly with the highest cell hitting 3.6v.
    ChargeDischarge.jpg
    In addition I have removed the balancers from my wifes car and started adding charge to the lowest cells and it is coming into balance very well.

Thanks,
    Dan

14. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    very nice Dan. Please remind us of your set up, 4kwh ? 1 converter ? pre-feb 2010 kit ? and you did the low&high cell matching right ? tank full MPG ? average distance between charges ?

thanks, Pb

15. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Pb,
    My car is a 2005 with a January 4kwhr system. The converter was upgraded to a February converter which did give much better EV performance, but I have always run only one converter.

In late February I replaced 2 cells and balanced them at the bottom and capacity matched the buddy pairs.

All my mileage numbers are from the car computer. I have not kept the data to calculate mpg from a fill-up of the tank.

I get 30-35 miles on a charge.

Thanks,
    Dan

16. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan - is your February converter upgrade to 5000w ? was it a free upgrade ? what is your screen's MPG per tank ?

I have a buddy pair going weak, and may need to replace. What is the procedure to add a new pair to an already bottom balanced pack ?
    thanks, Pb

17. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have never had a 5K converter. The Feb upgrade was to get the maximum out of the 3K converter. To be honest this 3K converter is almost as good as a 5K because the Prius can only accept about 14a before it starts throwing codes.
    To get the new pair properly balanced at the bottom requires taking the whole pack apart and doing the process completely as described earlier in this thread.

To get close with a lot less work..
    You can install CellLogs. Put the "power from all cells" mod into them. Attach them to loud alarms. And then balance manually.

To balance manually, Run the system to empty everyday and then do a full charge. Download the CellLogs. Then add some charge to the cells that were low at the bottom and remove a little charge from the cells that went high at the top. Do this a little at a time and after a couple of weeks of doing a little everyday, you will see that the system will come into balance.

Don't try shortcuts. You must follow the process completely for it to work.

Thanks,
    Dan

18. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dan,
    I just wanted to mention that I have heard anecdotally from a 2010 Prius owner that the 2010 seems like it is a little more tolerant of amperage higher than 14a.

He hasn't put it through enough testing to really solidify that inference, but I'll be interested to hear more from him after a longer test period.

19. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dan,

I have been running a 2 converter system in my 2010 Prius without throwing any codes. The measured amperage is 23amps going into the system when I have both converters on. I had like 2500 miles running the system with 2 converters. The codes could be only coming up on the Gen 2 Prius.

-Chan

20. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric is talking about me. I am going to contact you, I have a few questions.