1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

balancing beads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by edwardob, Jul 3, 2013.

1. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    great

2. thewraith

thewraith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use these on my Supra. They work great- I think that it's overkill for a prius. $$$$

3. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    not sure what you mean....every car need wheel balanced.....we just use beads....others slime....others weights

can't be overkill on ANY car

4. thewraith

thewraith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the price, they are overkill.

Assuming that you are not going to do this yourself:

Stateside, you can get the wheels on most cars balanced for under $7/tire; you are basically being charged for a wheel removal/reinstall fee.

With the beads, you're paying that price plus the price for a tire removal/remount or removal of the filler nozzle and also $35-$50 for the balancing beads if you buy them yourself.

In the DC area, most places will not warranty this balance unless you buy the beads from them which will cost even more.

On my Supra, I'm running the car at speeds upward of 160/180 mph (at the track) and my wheels alone cost $4k. On the Prius, I'll be lucky if I get it to 85.

So, I disagree with you, strongly. I thought the whole point of the Prius was to be frugal, oh and- to protect the environment....

5. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    now i know whatyu mean...
    i did'nt buy prius for that reason.......and not everyone does...just look a the guys pimping their prius

i bought tyres online....fitted them myself.....beads 7 euro[10 dollars;;;enough 4 wheels].....a saving for sure!
    not sure what you strongly disagreed with...but whatever you disagreed with..enjoy

i hate anyone doing stuff on my car.....so this was just another thing i could do myself
    dont trust anyone doing anything to my car....next time i might try the slime

6. thewraith

thewraith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice! I feel the same way. I disagreed on the "overkill" aspect.

7. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    edwardob

Just came back from 2 weeks vacation, drove 4000 miles with beads, love it. speed between 75-85 miles/hours.

V/r

Khoi nguyen

8. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    edwardob

1 more question, almost 5000 miles since install beads all 4 tires, do you thinks I should rotate them? did you rotate yours?

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rotating tires is always good maintenance regardless of your balancing method.

The front tires experience much more wear and tear than the rear tires, especially on a front wheel drive vehicle.

SCH-I535