1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Balancing Voltages Required?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jamber, Sep 1, 2020.

1. jamber

jamber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm currently reconditioning the modules in my pack. I was able to get some pretty good capacity increases on all the modules I fully reconditioned. Sadly I need to interrupt the process, which is taking a very long time for me as I only have one balancer, putting the battery back into the car and drive the car around. So I essentially have two questions:

Is it okay to just pack the battery together and throw it in as-is? I'm currently charging all them to the same levels, but I'd like to skip this process.

Would it be okay to drive around with only 6 of the modules reconditioned? I'm concerned about this because I only finished 6 of the modules and the ones after those 6 were pretty bad, so I'm predicting it the voltages will be largely different and cause fault codes. I'd like to plan to do a good amount of driving beyond simply moving the vehicle to my new residence. Before I took the battery out I already had drove the car over 5,000 miles with the master warning light going off every 15 minutes or so, I simply cleared the codes with my phone.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we can't really say, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

jamber likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and I would add it is not to be recommended, for the same reason you wouldn't just buy a brand new module and stick it in.

All modules should have the same capacity otherwise it will be very unreliable.

jamber likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two