1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ball bearing on toyota 2008 not 2001-2003

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nicoya69us, Oct 21, 2020.

1. nicoya69us

nicoya69us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm perplexed, today I went to change my front wheel bearing and I thought it was sealed but I found out that ball bearing were in place and it could be opened, my question, is is normal for prius 2008 to have an unsealed ball bearing? Below is a photo of what I was supposed to find (a sealed wheel bearing) 20201020_225522.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some aftermarket replacements for the original hub bearing assembly are pressed together off-the-shelf bearings.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you swapping the entire hub or just the bearings? I think the majority of times the hub assembly is swapped. It's just easier and still relatively inexpensive, compared to pressing bearings. If you do it without removing the knuckle, you have to use a slide hammer to pop the hub out. The slide hammer initially attaches to the wheel studs and after several 'hammers', the outer half of the hub typically comes apart and ball bearings fall everywhere. Then the puller gets attached to the flange threads and you get to 'slide hammer' some more to get the flange off.

4. nicoya69us

nicoya69us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I want to swap the whole wheelbearing but I'm outside the us and cant get any replacement so instead I greased the bearings which is not what I want since they are making noise again.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.