1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ban European/Japanese Cars!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by reddog345, Mar 28, 2007.

1. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, the yen has been historically undervalued (I don't think it is anymore :unsure: ), but I wonder who is most at fault for that - Japanese past policy to slightly undervalue the yen or the Fed's continuing and historical policy to overvalue the dollar.

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess Malorn is more comfortable sending less money to Japan, but more to Iran.

The best solution is Detroit making fuel-efficient cars that can compete, but even now they are fighting it with the bio-fuel breaks they are lobbying for.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Mar 29 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]414426[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have the time, expertise, or inclination to break down your statement. Could someone figure out how much fuel was saved in a year by the entire Prius fleet vs say a vehicle averaging 30 mpg. Then find out how much of all the oil the US used in a year, how much Iran supplies and figure out how much was Iranian oil was actually not used because of the Prius? Then subtract the amount of oil saved by the GM hybrid buses? Please let me know how much Iranian oil was actually not used thanks to toytoa and their beloved Prius. I think I have an inkling.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll make it easy - instead of buying Japanese cars, buy more 20mpg domestic vehicles, that use more oil from Iran and other OPEC nations. Japan takes our money, but they are friendly to the US. Iran on the other hand, is doing "research" on nuclear energy that does not exactly convince the world that it's for peaceful purposes.

Detroit is lobbying for flex-fuel vehicles that give them a break on CAFE standards, yet E85 fuel economy is worse than straight gasoline....and growing corn-based gasohol is going to take a lot of water and oil-based fertilizer.

The Detroit solution is to just buy their sub-25mpg vehicles and shift our trade imbalance from Japan to OPEC, deny Peak Oil or Global Warming will ever happen

Indefinitely.

If you deny a problem it will never happen -right?

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 29 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]414429[/snapback]</div>
    If more people drove a Prius, the savings would obviously be a lot more. But people shouldn't drive Prius, because it's from Japan. So we should stick to Business As Usual and be happy with your Hummer and your Excursion.

(Why am I feeding the troll?)

6. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 28 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]413975[/snapback]</div>
    Ding ding ding ding ding... If they'd quit making crap, maybe we'd buy it......

maybe.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 29 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]414429[/snapback]</div>
    [sigh]

Maybe we should first calculate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single footstep. The journey to energy independence doesn't happen all at once, it's about a whole bunch of footsteps.

And your inkling is...? That if it doesn't change everything all at once, then it's worthless...?

Energy independence is patriotic...and so are whatever steps (and how many of them) are necessary to bring this about. Logic (and I use the term with great latitude) like yours is incomprehensible to me.

Oh, and, what percentage of personal vehicles on the road in the US actually achieve 30mpg? In the real world, not many. Isn't the national average much nearer to 20mpg than 30? I suspect that the truck in your avatar is lodged firmly in the teens, at best.