1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bankruptcy for GM soon?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveG, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is not enjoyable to see an company of long standing go out of business but GM prety much deserves what is happening to them. Unfortunately it is the little folks who will get hurt the worst. These people often do not have high tech skills and have been depending on their making it to pension age with the company.

Do PCers think Toyota is better then Ford and GM????? Well DUH!!

2. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And correct me if I'm wrong, didn't GM decide to get rid of GMAC even though it was profitable? Something about improving it's debt rating by dumping all that debt, even though the assets were greater. I remember an analyst on the radio calling a dumb move. And what happened two days ago, Moody's lowered GM credit rating.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the motivation is to keep GMAC from getting dragged down by GM. Protecting it's one crown jewel that is left.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it will hurt at first, but in the long run, gm going down will be good for america. gm has become a 450 pound behemoth that seemingly cannot see where its going because of the nose on its face. that kind of mis-management is not good for anyone including the US.

i dont know if they have unplayed cards up their sleeves or they are just too stuck in ancient corporate dogma and their own personal shortsighted agenda to be able to make the right decision. either way, they are becoming a drag on the american economy. unproductive companies hurt all of us.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I found this to be very illuminating on the subject:

http://priuschat.com/Auto-industry-loses-M...ins-t15504.html

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The US market is the prized auto market in the world. Are you insinuating that GM is out to destroy the competition and somehow Toyota is only out to sell cars and trucks? Wait isn't Toyota only in the business of selling efficient cars and trucks?

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you know anything about economics and the economy? Exactly how is GM a drag on the American ecenomy. And some of you wonder why I sometimes get a little irritated with the 'bs' slung about on here about GM and Ford. DAve your comments are incredibly ignorant of exactly what kind of role GM and Ford play in the US economy.

Dave, what do you do for a living?

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are only considering the GMAC move to make it easier for GMAC to acquire low-cost funds. End of story.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

There is a little part of me that wishes GM and Ford would close down tomorrow lock, stock and barrel. As the dominos started to fall through the entire economy and quickly reached the public sector, it would be funny to watch some of your reactions.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry malorn, but seen it, lived it, survived it. im fine.

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    the great depression? Are you that old? So you have lived through 3-4 million people losing their jobs in the span of one month? How about that many folks losing their healthcare and over a million losing their pensions?

How would the stock market react? How about the various governments affected? What did you live through the loss of some logging jobs?

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That would be a lot easier wouldn't it? Easier to let the company die than just being a better car company that built cars that lasted and didn't need the incompetent dealerships to screw up fixing the screw ups that happened at the factory. It would be just as funny to watch your reaction when you find out that GM isn't as important to this country as it thinks it is.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Now you are attacking dealers or just GM dealers? Maybe we will get the chance to see exactly how important the auto industry is to the US. The next two years will tell us everything. ;) Maybe those losing their jobs can be greeters at Wal-Mart? Is Wal-Mart opeing another 3-4 million new stores.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The problem is there is no way to ever convince you of that fact. THe majority of media reports their stories in the same way. When was the last time you saw an article about GM or Ford that did not start out something about building gas-guzzlers or low-quality vehicles. Almost every article I read starts out: Ford and GM have been left for dead because of building low-quality, gas-guzzlers. The fact is GM produces the highest mpg in more vehicle segments than any manufacturer. do you evcer hear that reported? Yes or no?

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Its true Maggieddd, you can laugh, but it is true.

17. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

this deserves more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do you take drugs to become so delusional or does it come naturally?

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does it make you feel better to poke fun at me? What do you think will happen to the economy when GM and Ford shutter all of their doors? Will it matter to any of you? Or are GM and Ford and their 2-4 million jobs, pensions and health benefits irrelevant in the United States and tho the Us economy? Any economists out there?

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Thanks for the funny, Malorn :)

GM has *only* lost 1% of it's stock market value today. HOOOYAH !!
    I have to say that Malorn serves a useful function, other than to amuse us. Without him, I'd quickly forget GM exists.