1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Banned Baby Names

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Mar 9 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]403124[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

Those types of names have been around before you were even born kiddo! :lol:

But yes, it is funny! And you are right about no one saying a word! :lol:

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Mar 9 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]403133[/snapback]</div>
    Just like I assume nobody ever picked on Dick Butkus.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Mar 9 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]403124[/snapback]</div>
    Marion

4. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congratulations to Ichabod and any other expectant PCers. Another important but overlooked thing to consider is the initials you give your baby. My first/middle ititials are "BS." Although I've had fun with it over the years, a more sensitive child might have been emotionally damaged by it.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]402979[/snapback]</div>
    And although I have the greatest admiration for Bob Dylan- please, no more kids named Dylan!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]403057[/snapback]</div>
    If "Scooter" goes to prison, I'll bet he'll have plenty of "friends".

6. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that name "Dylan" proliferated because of the TV soap 90210. Definitely another overused name. Also ban Ashley, Brittany, Macy while we're at it. More soap opera names. And never, never name your kid after an alcoholic beverage (Brandy).

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 9 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]403094[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 9 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]403112[/snapback]</div>
    If nice person and Phuc ever meet and decide to open a restaurant together, let's hope that they don't decide to name it after both of themselves!

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 10 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]403221[/snapback]</div>
    There's a sushi restaurant (actually, it's really good) in Boston called Fuku Sushi. It's supposed to be pronounced "Fookoo", but I always pronounce the second "U" like the name of the letter.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How come no white people name their kids Jesus, but every other hispanic is named Jesus. I think J.C. would be a cool first and middle initial for kid.

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a friend in high school, named Kit Case.

He named his son Justin.

(wait for it...)

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A cousin of my husband's named their first born "Rose Louise." The Rose, was for dad's late mother (Rosalyn) and the Louise is a name given to all females in mom's family.

My husband told me this and I just about fell off my chair in hysterical laughter.

Why?

Anybody else remember what Gypsy Rose Lee's real name was...?

Yup...you got it...Rose Louise (Hovick).

I still have trouble with this at family get togethers... :eek:

12. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 9 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]402979[/snapback]</div>
    I had this exact conversation with SWMBO when we were expecting our son. She was bent on naming him Braiden.

It's one of the few arguments I actually came out victorious on and Nick will be forever grateful that I stood up for him before he was even born.

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ahhh--it certainly is popular here in Richmond. I was sucked in...Braden is my son's name. Of course, I only call him Brady, which is not quite so popular. However, being that it is a last name, I have broken two rules set out by the OP...

And Elijah, his middle name, has also become far too popular.

14. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when we picked out our kids' names we had a couple rules:
    1. no obvious nickname (my husband didn't mind being called "Jim", but he hated it that his sisters still called him "Jimmy")
    2. Gaelic-sounding to go with our last name (McFarland) - seen too many Colleen Miyahara, Kaitlyn Kronberg, etc
    3. Not named after anyone in the family - didn't plan to have enough children so that no one would be left out
    4. Watch those initials - friend from high school born in 1942 had initials JAP
    5. Remember your kid will grow up - no one wants to have a grandmother named Tammi

Our final choices: Kevin Scott & Colleen Dianne are now in the their mid-30's & don't hate their names (in fact when my daughter got married she refused to change her name to husband's German-sounding last name)

Grandchildren all have family names: David James, Ross Madison (Madison was my grandmother's last name - he's probably the only boy named Madison in New York state), Elizabeth Anna

My candidates for really bad names:
    1. daughter's high school friend whose first & middle names were JACK DANIELS (not Daniel)
    2. friends who named their daughter Susan Q (lastname) - that's right - middle name "Q" so she could be Susie-Q
    3. former NY legislator named Preserved Fish (opened the Bible & pointed for that first name)

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    SWMBO is a good acronym.. I'll have to start using it.

I actually, honestly and truly knew a kid named Justin Case when I was in high school. The kid committed suicide. I'm not saying there was a connection between the name and his demise though.

I have a couple of friends who are expecting a boy soon. They've chosen "Baxter" as a first name. I'm not thrilled with it but don't hate it. The wife kept her last name, and they seem to have decided that in order to avoid siding with one or the other family, they'll give the child the husband's mother's maiden name as a last name. I think it's insane, and doesn't really address the issue either because the name is still coming from the father's side, and this way the kid will be teased about being adopted or kidnapped or something.

That's not the worst of it though. The last name of his mother starts with "Sr" (pronouced "Shr..") and they don't want the kid to have the initials "B.S." so they're going to change the spelling of the name to start with a "Z." So not only will he be teased and the grandmother offended, but he'll be picked last for everything.

I have another pair of friends who got married and rather than one taking the other's name, they made a mashup name from their two surnames... I won't write it in respect of their privacy (searching google for their name returns a lot of pages about them because nobody else has that name), but suffice it to say, it's ridiculous.

As for my baby, one name at the top of our list is "Lucinda." SWMBO doesn't mind the nickname Lucy, and Lucinda is uncommon enough without being pretentious. My Taiwanese mother-in-law suggested "Tai-Yi" as a middle name, and we both like that too.

16. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had to greet someone at a business I worked at one time. He handed me his business card. His name... Harry Palmer. I could barely keep the smirk off my face.

A girlfriend was so thankful that her parents didn't name her what they originally wanted to. Their last name is Korn. She was going to be Candice. Candy Korn. She knew she would have been destined to be a stripper with that name.

17. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Mar 10 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]403341[/snapback]</div>
    1. I don't see what's wrong with that. I approve of naming a child after a loved one.

3. My house was built by someone named - I am NOT making this up - Preserved Clapp.

18. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Mar 10 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]403388[/snapback]</div>
    I know a guy named Cornelius Flakes. Guess what his nickname is?

19. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 10 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]403411[/snapback]</div>
    Icy Eight Special K?

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew a girl in high school named Crystal Waters. And a teacher with a sign on his door that said E. Atwell.